Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I think we're pretty much screwed!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Selta, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey, have I got a story that you won't believe.
    My aunt (who lives in New York where as I live in Penna) calls me up today and tells me she got my band a gig. She didn't know that we broke up yet, but that's besides the point. When I tell her this she says that we can't back out or else it's a $100 charge! So I got us back together today, but it turns out this place wants a cover of Smashing Pumpkins ONLY for 2- 2 1/2 hours! We never played any of their songs so we had to have a cram session today and we have until next week to learn somewhere around 20-30 (depends on what songs we play) songs to learn! I think I'll be taking off school this week! Anyway, does anyone up in NY/NYC area know of anyplace that has a band that plays on Saturdays that can hold like 150 people? I just want to know about this place! She told me the name of it but I can't remember it... Anyway, Any suggestions on what to play would be nice so far were playing all their big songs. I.e 1979, Rat in a Cage etc etc. (alot of our songs are proably going to come from Mellon Collie). PM me if you know of any way to learn a **** load of songs in a short while (besides playing them over and over and over again!) Thanks all. I'll be sure to post how it goes after it all happens!

2. it's amazing the amount of things a person can accomplish (sp?) without sleep for a week..

good luck on the gig! and lets us know what happens..

3. Sounds an awfully tall call to me. Good Luck!!

I think I'd ask my aunt to check with me in future before she committed my band to anything like that!

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'd say give granny the $100 and drop the gig!!! Or, better yet, just back out and let it be a lesson to her!!!;)

5. that sucks! if i were you, i'd jam out the end of every song for like 7 minutes. :D

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Two-and-a-half hours of The Smashing Pumpkins? What kind of place is this?

If you guys manage to pull it off, why not take the next step and become a Pumpkins tribute band? No sense letting all that learnin' go to waste!

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    If we we're any good we'd do the tribute. We'll see how this gig goes first. I wish I knew where this place was allready. There's no way were dropping it, going for it wether we makes asses outta ourselves or not :). It's going to be fun either way!

8. You could do:

Rhinoceros
    Tristenessa
    I am one
    Siva
    Today *
    Disarm *
    Cherub Rock
    Spaceboy *
    Rocket
    Soma
    Mayonaise
    1979 *
    33 *
    Bullet with butterfly wings
    Ava Adore (Computer-ish)
    Zero
    Bury me
    Geek U.S.A.
    Heavy Metal Machine
    Everlasting Gaze (Maybe not, drop 2 steps tuning)
    Muzzle *
    Stand inside your love *
    The end is the beginning is the end (Batman)
    Eye (Computer-ish, Lost Highway)
    Drown
    Tonight, tonight *
    Try, try, try
    We only come out at night *
    F*** you / An ode to no one
    Lucky 13 (Judas O)
    Saturnite (Judas O, Computer-ish)

The ones marked with a * are easy-ish.

One the whole, I'd say you're f****d. Their songs are very hard (for the guitar, bass has it easy) and you have to cover at least two hours of it.

9. one question, how will the club owner get the $100 out of you and or granny? did she give him a deposit or something? if not, i would say "come and get it" maybe im just out of it, good luck, i love the pumpkins.

10. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What he said. You didn't ask for her help, did you? Nobody can MAKE you play a gig if you don't want to!

Learning thirty songs in a week is a difficult, but not impossible, task. When you're not practicing, listen carefully to the stuff you'll be doing. Make up cheat sheets with the keys and chord progressions of each song. Live and breathe the music for that week.

Good luck dude... let us know what happens!

11. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    my words of wisdom: playing a gig that you're not prepared for and sucking is not a good experience. may be a lesson in humility, but it's just not fun at all. if you don't think you can fit the bill, then don't play the gig. also, i seriously doubt that you're going to owe anyone $100 if you back out. was there a deposit? are you even getting paid?

as a side note, i'd be driven to insanity if forced to play smashing pumpkins for 2 1/2 hours. that's just ridiculous.

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Yes there was a deposit and yes were getting paid. We allready can play 1.5 hours too. We all took aoff school and we just keep playing all the time! I think it is ridiciolous too but it'll be worth it! We'll get noticed by people other than where we live for on thing! I know were going to do good. Three more days to prep and we only need another hour. Thanks for the song list but we allready have one!

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Never, ever give a bar owner a deposit to play his (or her) bar! "Pay to play" is the biggest ripoff since Don Lapre's late-night TV money-making package! This goes for anyone and everyone, not just BasSR205DX.

:mad: :mad:

14. [Billy Idol accent on]
    "Right!"
    [Billy Idol accent off]

I would appreciate the offer, but if anyone "hooked me up" with a gig I (or the band) had no involment in, and it didn't fit, I wouldn't play. 'specially no Pumpkins tribute. I'd tell your aunt, thanks, but we can't do it, "we broke up!" I'd offer to pay her $50 to cover the bar (which is rediculous in the first place).

15. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    All went alright, at best. I got into an argument with my best friend Thursday and I was still mad at myself for it on friday and it effected my performance...I only messed up about 10 times, most went unnoticed. All together we came out with $418.72! We had fun (eventhough our tape recorder "disappeared") and it seemed that the crowd enjoyed it, the ones that weren't to drunk. There was some guy there from a recording company (I never heard of the name before so I didn't know wether to trust him or not) and he wanted a deposit for a CD of that night to be made. Needless to say, we all just walked away, we had enough of **** like that. :( I'm just hoping we didn't pass up a good oppurtinity then I'll be extra :mad:! After all the travel expenses and spliting the cash five ways I got like $80 so I'm happy. We all had alot of fun, the guy that owns this joint asked us if we would play over the summer and we're like, "Yeah, as long as it doesn't have to be two hours of covering one band again!" and he agreed to that. Nice guy now that I actually had time to sit down and talk to him for a little bit. Anyway, you guys can all laugh at us, but for a group of 16 year olds, we kicked @$$ IMO.
    Later!

16. congrads on a great gig :)

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    glad to hear that it wasn't a train wreck!

you guys are into smashing pumpkins, right? if not...at least ya got some dough (enough to replace the tape recorder?).

i think it'd be pretty cool to cover all of the songs i like from one of my fav. bands. but even then, it would be pretty hectic to cram it all in 2 weeks.

hopefully your grades didn't suffer!

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Thanks for the support. The $$$ covered the tape recorder and we have a little left over. We don't have musicians insurance so we're never going to get cash or anything for it all :(. Grades did suffer but it's a new 9 weeks so I have time to get them back...I'm not so worried about them. Thanks all!
    Ray,Andrew,Chris,Chad, and Scott

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Cool.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This was the immediate question that popped into my head. My second question is, what is your grandmother like that she would be in contact with a club that wants Smashing Pumpkins covers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.