I thought I cooked a Driver but I didn't?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GravyGoodness, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Ok so here's the deal:

Hartke HA3500 (Old Version) + (2) 15" cabs with Eminence 3015LF. I always ran both cabs, so each was getting 175 @ 4 Ohms - the stack resides in my living room and for some odd reason I decided to put one of the Cabs away and just run 1. That's 250w @ 8 ohms and what the speaker is designed for.

I ended up cooking the speaker by accident when I had friends over playing with me. Sounded like it Clipped 2 times and then no noise. No smoke, bad smell, etc. I let it rest an hour, tried again - nothing. So I switched to the other cab and played no problem.

Fast forward a month and I was going to pull the speaker and order a replacement. I hooked it back up one more time before I dropped $225 on a replacement - back at the [email protected] just like before - and it works fine! I hooked them both back up, played a while and no problems.

So tell me - what happened? Is this some form of electronic witchcraft or what?

2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Sounds like an intermittent connection problem. Check every connection and cable for possible breaks from the internal speaker back to the jackplate through the cable to the amp. It might be as simple as a crimp on connector at the speaker terminals that needs to be squeezed a bit tighter with needle nosed pliers.

saabfender and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  3. Just because the amp power rating and the speaker rating are the same, that doesn’t necessarily mean they will work OK together. There is a lot more to it than just power numbers.

This isn’t related to the problem you had, but I didn’t want you operating under the illusion that you can’t blow a 250 watt speaker with a 250 watt amp.

I agree that it sounds like a bad connection. Check all the jacks and the wiring.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Are you sure you have 3015LFs? Those guys definitely aren't rated at 250w...

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    3015LF’s are subs. They would sound like doody on their own.

Pretty sure OP has 3015’s, which are full range. And rated about double that 250w @8ohms

6. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    All manufacturers' ratings are thermal, meaning how many watts it takes to melt the voice coil. Most drivers run out of excursion at about half their thermal rating; those with greater excursion like the 3015LF will get closer to the thermal rating before farting out or suffering damage.

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I'll guess the intermittent problem was in the amp, most likely the shunt in the effects-return jack.

If the problem returns, try patching a guitar cord in-between your fx send and return jacks.
    If that instantly restores sound, you could simply leave a short cord in place, or try cleaning the shunt in your fx-return jack.

saabfender likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Not all, Andy put mechanical limits in the specs for subways. Others, like Ampeg are known to be "conservatively" rated. But yes, generally, expect the wattage ratings to be thermal capacity of the voice coil and halve that for mechanical. If they use off the shelf drivers and the rating is the sum of the thermal rating of the drivers, that's a red flag.

bobcruz likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021