Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I thought I had a goatee...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, May 11, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I really did think I was wearing a goatee this week. Apparently I was mistaken.
    It seems that I have a Van Dyke. ;)
    I stand corrected.

I wonder how many guys are wearing a Van Dyke thinking they have a goatee? I wonder why I get so bored that I have these conversations with co workers, and then post it to TB for further discussion.

I do occasionally sport the Van Dyke
    while I have worn a goatee as a teen (I wasn't yet able to grow a Van Dyke) I would never have a goatee again.
    I've worn a mustache, and may again someday
    I'm a full supporter of the mustache / soul patch combination
    I am not fully in favor of a stand alone soul patch, although I won't really fault others for choosing this facial hair configuration.
    I am adamantly opposed to the goatee without mustache idea (sorry Brendan and Jason Newstead)

Anybody want to discuss facial hair configurations? Just don't bring up side burns - my beard is way too thin on my cheeks and I just can't grow them, so of course I have side burn envy....

2. i tried a beard once, but my facial hair grows out to about four days length and stays there. constant miami vice look. pretty swank.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ok, here's a question...what is it called that worf from star trek wears? that's what i usually grow underway on the submarine...pretty cool...

4. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Speaking as a veteran of the Van Dyke, the Petit Goatee, the Chin Puff, the Soul Patch (which I always thought was called an Imperial), the Soul Patch + Chin Puff and sideburns ranging from straight and to the bottom of my ear to pointed and reaching my jawline I can safely say I am in favour. :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is my day to day beard config. (Yes, the room is a mess; bite me)

Current legth: 6" in the braid/ponytail thingus. Commando, it's about 6.5"ish

I don't rock the mustache for a rather simple reason: for the longest time, and still to some extent, cannot grow sufficient hair to bridge the mustache and goatee. And since I refuse to rock the solo mustache, there is no mustache. Now that I can, I've tried it and don't care much for it.

My beard is also too thin (IMHO) on the sides to rock the sideburns, othewise, I think I'd go with the chin of doom and sideburns. I've rocked the Van Dyke, the soul patch, the Abe Lincoln (which I currently wear a modified version of edit- apparently, I guess I was off, I run a modified Van Dyke. Go figure), and a few others, and I've reached the configuration I like.

As you can tell. The chin has been growing for a little over a year now. I shave so little, I can remember that the last time I was even remotely close to clean shaven was the April 24th of 2003. So, this is just a bit over a year old. And guess what? 19 HA. (Okay, 20 in late August, but still.)

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Now that's a good question - I did a google image search, but I'm not sure what to call it... :meh:

You know, I thought maybe you'd be the type to wear mutton chops out at sea - or is that reserved for the very highest ranks like captain and admiral?

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I will say that you pull that off much better than most guys who sport Amish influenced beards. ;)

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I was about to say:

OMG! I've been trading absurdities with an Amish person!

:D

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And, because I'm a vain sucka-

The Amish

The Rasta (wearing the same shirt, coincidentally, as I was when I took that other picture two days ago)

I love my beard. :D

10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nice. Amish and obviously quite mad.

;)

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Naw, that's the neutral look, actually. Whenever I think I have a blank expression on my face, people ask why I'm angry. My dad's the same way.

So, believe it or not, I have to "wear" a nuetral face so as not to alarm or concern good samaritans in the audience.

It's because I'm so gosh derned metal. :D

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Hey, I like that - cool, thanks. Although their Van Dyke looks a little different than the definition I was working off of. :meh: Oh well, that page gives me some new ideas.

You know, one time - not too long ago I caught myself thinking about how much I amused myself by growing unique facial hair, I got to thinking about all of the guys I know with unique or constantly changing facial hair and how they often seem to be a different type of person, goofy - but in a cool way… I realized that the craziest guy I know has the craziest mustache and I had myself laughing out loud (all alone in the room contemplating facial hair) My wife came in and asked what I was laughing at. What do you say? I told her that I just "got" a joke a friend told me earlier. :oops:

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    These random facial hair posts reminded me of an old State skit - I think it was something like the Bearded Men from Space Station 12.
    "Everybody knows beards don't grow in space ... ... but, I have a beard."
    etc, etc...

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England

\m/

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yeah. I looked at that page as well. Their model is a very dandy gentleman. :cool:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So \m/ it hurts, baby.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Me, most recent picture, about a year ago.

The [facial hair of undetermined type] is about as long as Brendan's now, but is significantly thinner. I'm in the process of growing in behind it to thicken things up right now.

I am not \m/, however. :(

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Who's this Brandon character, and why do people keep talking about him in threads I participate in?

19. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I rather like the idea of combining being bald with a really skinny "chin curtain" (name as per the site linked earlier in the thread) with my thickened [facial hair of undetermined type] and my present baldness.

I think I'll start on that tonight. :)