Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i thought i'd share...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p0p_ri0t, May 26, 2003.

1. p0p_ri0t

p0p_ri0t

May 13, 2000
    a couple of weeks ago, i unexpectedly decided to upgrade my gear. so that i did... i wanted to downsize my setup (swr2004/workingman4x10/workingman1x15) to something smaller but louder. i'm now a happy owner of a swr 350x and a gol jr. III and a son of bertha. i figure i wouldn't need anything louder than a 350x because i'd be forced to buy a bigger cab (i was almost tempted when i saw a used 750x that was cheaper than a brand new 350x, but then i would've had to buy the 8x10 cab or something close). my desire was to make my stuff smaller and so mission accomplished. i love the 350x, sounds great and it is much lighter to carry.

well i thought i'd gloat about this, i'm still quite stoked that i actually went for it.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not bad.......smaller is better
    besides, "real" swr stuff sounds better than the workingmans stuff.......
    imho, the original swr engineering amps like the red 350s sound the best

3. :D Gloating is OK!!

My basic setup is an SWR350 with Goliath III (I also use small bit of compression with an FMR RNC 1773, and have an Alembic SF-2 before the preamp feed to help compensate for different room dynamics) - it sounds great, although I wish I had waited for the 4-ohm cab (it was backordered when I purchased the rig a year ago). A 550 or 750 would make better use of the 8 ohm Goliath in terms of optimal speaker performance, IMO. I was thinking of an SOB to complement the 4x10, but ended up with an Eden D210xlt instead for flexibility and the low-end specs.

In any case, I think you made a great choice that will serve you well - congrats!

:)

4. p0p_ri0t

p0p_ri0t

May 13, 2000
    IvanMike, i was very impressed with the workingman series. however heavy and big they were, they did me well in the 3+ years i've used them. it certainly made me sound "good" on the recordings i've done--and i never have used any effects except for a bass overdrive pedal at one point. but the weight of lugging them around took its toll, and since my band is going on tour this summer, we all decided to buy smaller gear to replace our big ones so that the overall weight on our van isn't too much. and plus i love having to choose from a 2x10 and 1x15 depending on the size of the venue.