Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I thought my problems were solved, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Mar 27, 2003.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    After replacing the tubes in my SWR IOD and replacing a faulty amp, I thought that my new rig would finally be up and running and full speed...until tonight!!! For no apparent reason, an intermittent "farting" sound is coming from my amp/speakers and I'm about ready to chuck the whole thing in lake Michigan and go back to playing drums! :spit: :bawl: :spit: :bawl:

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be here??? It doesn't happen all the time, and the whole system had been working perfectly. Where would this "farting" sound be coming from and what could be causing it. And for the record, it isn't distortion from the IOD, as I'm not running the drive knob that hot. HELP! I can't stand it any longer.....

2. First thing I would do is check all your cables, patches and speaker. I wouldn't start freaking out until you rule them out, sounds like they could be the culprit.

3. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Since you mention that you're considering going back to "drumming"....and since it's a well known fact that drummers can fart better than anyone else on the planet, I'd suggest that you're having subconscious thoughts about banging on drums and the farting is actually coming from YOU! :D I'd see a shrink..........your gear is, probably fine.

Peace,
    RB
    www.richbriere.com

4. It looks like Nicoli is pointing you in the right direction. If you've checked your cables and patches then it could indeed be the speaker. Are you in a position to test using another cabinet?

5. Is this farting sound coming when you have your amp at a low volume??

Some speaker cabinets need a certain amount of volume going through them in order to work properly. I once had an Eden 210xlt that I tried to run on the high end of a bi-amp system. Since the xlt is typically a full range speaker, I would also get a 'farting' sound. I decided to bag the idea of bi-amping and ran everything full range which solved the problem.

6. "Faulty Amp?"

Dude, me thinks you've cooked the voice coils.

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Try This,
    I had a VERY similar problem with a 100watt "Hiwatt" head, it turned out to be a capacitor lead "shorting out" to the amp chassis.
    It only happened at high volume and certain frequencies.
    I found it by chance when I ran the amp without the head sitting on top of the speaker cab - it didn't happen!
    Seems the vibrations at high volumes and low frequency from the cab were shaking the head enough to cause the short.