I thread about your fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 23, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Alright, alright, alright let's put all that slap and picking i see in this forum away for a brief moment(not that there's anything wrong with it). I was just listening to some Jaco and his finger speed is absolutely incredible. I was just wondering what are some really helpful practice techniques for developing your right hand technique?? With an axe or without
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thread about... sounds very caveman. :) Good idea though, my right hand needs a bit o' work.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ME THYGOR!!! Me say left hand need more power!about jaco.... PRACTISE ALL THE TIME....you play long enough with that as your goal....and it will come....MY speed problems come from the left hand not working as fast as the right! Thats why i said my left hand needed more work.
  4. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    The cavemen were brilliant people ok
  5. This is sorta' off topic, but I'm going to put it here anyhow.

Be careful how much you practice and how you treat your fingers.

I'm recently 31, I've been playing steadily (minus 1 year or so) for about 14 years, and professionally for about 7 or 8. I recently (over the last 6 months) started to develop swelling in my tendons at my joints in the form of lumps on the tendon sheath in my left hand. I have to keep my practicing time down, and I take 600mgs of Ibuprofen every night for pain and swelling control.

I took a hiatus from playing for about a year, (Didn't even look at my bass) then threw myself right back into it, full bore with my new band. That may have something to do with it.

I used to practice until all the muscles in my hand and arm couldn't take anymore. That used to take about 5 or 6 hours. When I jumped back into it, it only took about an hour. (You can lose alot in a year.) Now I'm back to normal, but I can't even get to that point anymore, as my joints and tendons start to hurt before my muscles do.

I also use a computer alot and play lots of console/video games, which definitely contributes to the problem. (The Game boy Advance is hell on the joints, and the PS2, Dreamcast and Xbox controllers aren't the greatest either.)

Repetitive motion disease is real, and it's hard to ignore no matter how punk you are. ;)

Practice as much as you can, but take care of your hands....seriously.