Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I threw up while working out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Im starting to work out again. I haven't worked out in about 6 months and had almost no physical workout in those 6 months. Well today I went to the gym with a trainer to show me specific workouts for my needs.

First, I ran a mile and then I went over to the machines (this was all in the area of about 25-30 min.)and I started to feel sick while on one of the machines. I told him I had to goto the bathroom so I did and sat for a few minutes in the locker room, drank some water and then went back out feeling a bit better. Then, we were using those giant workout balls and I started to feel sick again. I couldn't hold it and I threw up, but beared in my mouth and took it to the trash can. Then I threw up even more at the trash can.

Has anyone else had this happen to them or know why this happened. The trainer told me that I "over did it", but I always feel sick after a hard workout but havent puked untill now. Thanks and peace

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This happened to me once. I used to work out and was quite buff (im a powder puff now :bawl: ) but I went a very long time once without working out and was not in very good shape. I went to the gym and worked out my ENTIRE body and ran I believe. It was like a 2-3 hour session and as soon as I sat in my car afterwards I felt very naseaus. I thought I was gonna lose it in the parking lot but somehow I made it home. I promptly went to the bathroom and threw up. I felt great afterwards but it was really stupid of me to do what I did...won't ever do that again.

Yeah you basically over did it. Moderation is key.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Don´t worry about it IAMERICCOCHRANE.

This has happened to me about three times.

Two of them were in intense martial arts practices, and I had eaten dinner an hour earlier. I just overdid it and threw up.

The third time was at a gym, again I overdid it with aformentioned results.

This is nothing to worry about, just don´t eat a large meal approx 2 hours before workout and don´t overdo it :)

4. Throwing up was pretty common for me when I first started running cross-country and track. Don't worry about it, you'll get to working out and you'll stop getting sick.

5. The thing is I didnt eat anything before I went. Thats what I thought was so weird. But ohwell guess i just overdid it. THanks guys

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Not eating may have been part of your problem. When I had the luxury of a trainer, I was told to always eat a light meal within half an hour of coming to the gym. "Light" is the operative word. I don't mean steak or hamburgers.

My trainer also told me it was quite common for folks doing heavy weights or working out extra hard to throw up, especially if they were doing the extreme dieting body builders do before a show.

One hint: Be very sure you don't hold your breath when lifting weights. Be sure to exhale on the exertion. Counting out loud forces you to breathe.

I never threw up at the gym, but I did pass out and had to be rescued by 911. Turns out my trainer was working me much harder than I could tolerate at that time. What happened was I went into a hypoglycemic state. Boy! Was that scarey! (And I looked like a dork being carted out of the gym on a stretcher.) Now I always have some raisens with me at the gym, to get a little bit of carbs if I start to feel faint or dizzy.

I wouldn't worry about throwing up one time when you are just restarting a fitness program. If it continues with regualrity, though, maybe you'd better see a doctor.

7. I guess when u get tired you should stop. No harm in that.. except to the pride which is pathetic. Buy building it back up again you will find you are better off and have more stamina.

So i could only do 5 pushups 6 months ago.. now i can do 50. A little everyday too BTW. I have a very bad back and hip condition. I do 20 mins of stretching and exercise every night. I find i can do more and more in the end.

:D:D

Merls

8. Try eating a banana and/or dried fruit about 1/2 before you go. That's what I've heard.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Came close during one workout.........workout ended there and then, went inot cool down mode and drank water.

Like everyone is saying, you just overdid it, and on an empty stomach. Light meal/snack is better to exercise on that nothing - like Boplicity said!

You won't go from couch potato to Charles Atlas in one week, get yourself into it more gradually (now if only I can heed my words of wisdom.....as I too have become couch potato....)

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...there's headaches.

You gotta know your limits. You don't have to shred everyday in the gym. That's the goal, but take it easy now and then.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    From what I hear, it's better to give yourself a day off or two in between workouts, and not to do too much in one go (no more than one hour), or you run the risk of injury.

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Please don't go around thinking of this as a macho thing. It's not. It's stupid. Don't do it again.

Stay hydrated, and know your limits. Push yourself but don't hurt yourself.

13. Don't listen to him, be a man.

14. I dont think its a macho thing, im pretty embarrased about it. What am i gonna do? run around my school telling people "HEY GUESS WHAT I WAS AT THE GYM AND I THREW UP ALL OVER THE PLACE!! NOW I CAN KICK YOUR ASS!!!"

btw- whats so stupid about it? how was I to know that I would be throwing up at the end of the workout?

15. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Almost did today. Football coaches are the worst people to work out with.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    In some ways, some may infer that existence of this thread as said, "yelling around your school." It's clear that it's not, but I just wanted to be sure of that. Better to come of as the jerk, and say something somebody doesn't want to hear, that may be very helpful, than coddle someone who is doing something dangerous.

It's stupid when people know their limits, don't stay hydrated, and push themselves to the point of vomiting simply for the ability to say that they work out "that hard." As I mentioned, it's clear that you didn't do this.

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Good advice!

My brother is a workout-a-holic, not like, jogging 5 miles, more like "Lets see my NEW MAX" every day. Weight training to get "Swole" as he says. When he first started out, he was lifting every day, no natter WHAT people told him(If you don't give time to your muscles after lifting, your doing more harm than good) just because he thought he would be bigger if he did MORE and MORE of it. I can't tell you how many times I heard my brother sqweak my name, me run into his room, and there is an insanly amount of wieght over him he can't get up. (And if you are benching, GET A SPOT, DON'T BE AN IDIOT!) But now, a year later, he is a wiser, stronger, bigger ryan(My brother). Only does heavy stuff once a week, knows his limits, doesn't push it like he did.

As far as eating, you can do what he does...

Open up yourself a can of tuna, shove some mayo in there, and then mix in a good dose of PEANUT BUTTER. mmm mmm good.

(I'm very white, hate sports, 6.3, 170 pounds, 18 years old, and my "max" is 140. He is 16((I know, not good to start THAT young)) 160 pounds, and his max is 210, and he's still going.)

And why work out???

POWER TO THE LAZY!!!

18. I wish I didnt have to work out, but I do. A few reasons why:

1.I have to do 90 hours of physical activity (Skateboarding, going to the gym etc etc...) in order to get my Gym credit for school
    2. My Triglyceride(sp?) lvls are 420/120. In other words if I was 30 years older I would have definately have had a heart attack.
    3.I need the Chicks man, they dont go after guys with humongous beer bellies, noodle arms and a sunken-in chest (well some do but thats another tale for another day...)

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm like you. I HATE to work out, but I have to work out. At 60 years of age, my metabolism has slowed to a crawl. I now have to count every calorie, and work out hard either with weights or cardio nearly every day. I don't want to go to the gym. I don't want to sweat like a pig and ruin my hair every day, but I have to. If I don't I'll bloat up like like an elephant.

Plus size clothes are ugly and they cost more. Given the choice between skipping the gym or wearing plaus size clothes, I bite the bullet and hit the gym. One cautionary note...the battle of the bulge never gets any easier. You might as well get the fitness habit early, because it is tough to build back to health when you have neglected yourself for years.