Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I told them I played BASS GUITAR!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Dec 18, 2000.

1. I had just moved to a new town and had to start a new school (I'm a senior in high school). I was in the jazz band at my old school and decided to take band there as well. The first day I walked in, I went up to the instructor, introduced myself and said I played the bass guitar. He said, "Umm... We don't have any bass parts. Just go back and stand with the percussionists."

I figure to myself, "Ok, easy credit. I just stand back here and look cool." They were preparing for their Christmas show and the percussionists were whining that there were too few of them and too many percussion duties. Apparently it was too difficult for the jinlge bell player to lay his instrument down and pick up a mallet and play the bass drum part. So, the instructor look to me and said, "You do it."

"I can't play drums."

"You'll learn."

So naturally, I f*ck up the first few times by playing too slow, then playing too fast and when I did get the beat down after a few tries I got chewed out for playing the damn thing too loud. And every time I do something wrong and get reprimanded for it, I think to myself, "Gee, I coulda swore the first day I walked in here I said I WAS A FRIGGIN' BASS GUITAR PLAYER!"

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, a bass guitarist who can't keep tempo, at that. Mind blowing.

3. yeah, the band at my school dont allow any bass players either. kinda sucks huh.

4. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    What's a Bass Guitar:D

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    What kind of a band doesn´t have a bass player???

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, exposure to drums is good for you. practice, you'll be a better bassist for it.

7. You may be a bass player but most people in high school bands don't play anything at all! They play because because they have to. And frankly if you can't play the bass drum part in jingle bells, you should give up music and open a convinience store (heard that from a perc. teacher).

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I guess this is supposed to be sarcastic...or funny...or insulting. I'm not sure which.

Playing drums, or any other instrument can only help his musical skills. But it shouldn't be taken for granted that he knows how. Internal meter is one thing; coordination is quite another.

For the record, he didn't say the song was "Jingle Bells". He said the percussionist had to put down the jingle bells for whatever song they were rehearsing.

I don't mean to rant endlessly. I'm still on my first cup of coffee. :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Winger!:D

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    Guster... Sleater-Kinney... the Doors...

11. The Doors.. hmm.. true there wasnt a bass player in the band, but they had bass in the songs. They hired bassists. its impossible to sound good without the low-end. Doors songs had good basslines too..

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A) Percussion (not "drums") isn't easy.

B) The tune sounds like "Sleigh Ride," (or something similar) which is notoriously hard on the percussionists, who have to play a wide variety of goofy toys, in cut time with lots of off-beats.

C) He hasn't quit despite the @$$ chewings.

D) He's only 17.

Give him a break. He didn't ask for the latest KORN tab. He's getting his butt kicked trying something new and is venting. Maybe, with a little ENCOURAGEMENT, someday he'll become a MUSICIAN, instead of just a FRIGGIN'BASS GUITAR PLAYER.

13. **** school

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, I'm just a grumpy old fart. Don't mind me none.

15. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Nice outlook... In ten years I'll come by your office. Hell, I might even take that hot apple pie! :D

16. Nice outlook... In ten years I'll come by your little street corner and throw some change in a little guitar case watching you try and play the bass

17. sorry bout that joke up there nick. just the way you said i couldnt help but say that. just a little biased humor for ya.

yes school may suck, but you gotta live with it

18. heh im not going to drop out im just saying that it sucks

19. I guess I'm probably alone on this one, but as I purist, I never liked electric bass in my concert band, it's not a concert band instrument, and they don't write parts for them. The bass parts are covered by tubas, trombones, bass clarinets, etc. But I'm also a conservative, uptight elitist, so I tend to resist change.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Shouldn't it be, "Yeah, the band at my school don't allow no bass players, neither."?