I too am considering quitting!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'm tired looking stupid because the guitar player calls tunes that I have no idea how they go. It's embarrassing and it makes everyone look bad. I've complained over and over but it still goes on.

Last time I was told I need to lighten up. I think next time I'll give a notice.

Bolsyo, FretFree, mexicant and 9 others like this.
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    There's a guy who used to show up at a blues jam and call out Stevie Wonder songs; I won't play with him any more.

Maybe try this: have a conversation with the other persons in the band. Next time guitar guy does that, everybody else just plays 'Mustang Sally.'

3. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    At least you have a cool avatar. Regular Show is awesome!

Blackjac97, TheAndinator and Stinsok like this.
  4. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I'm down for stumbling through a request every now and then but it's a real pain now.

5. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Call the next tune before the guitarist does. Pick one known to everyone in the band except the guitarist. If you can sing it, all the better.

Or, of course, quit the band and find better people to play with.

BlueTalon, westrock, smogg and 2 others like this.
  6. Yools

Yools

Jul 24, 2009
    Deepinaharta, TX
    That seems like a reasonable reason to leave a band... I know I wouldn't have a lot of patience with someone who was repeatedly putting themselves before the band, especially when it hurts the performance. That is just selfish and childish.

Of course, if it were me, I'd tell the guitarist to...
    regular-show-GTFO.jpg
    Remember... sometimes you gotta go insane... to out-sane... the sane.

You know what I'm sayin'?

-Y

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Does the rest of the band know the tunes? If so just ask for a list and shed whatever you don't know. If nobody knows the songs then it's time for a band meeting about the material selection.

I don't know what sort of band this is but if the guitarist is calling tunes people respond to then it might be worth selecting new repertoire.

EDIT: calling tunes you don't know all the time is not cool, just trying to look at all sides of what can be done about it :cool:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  8. +1. Then tell the guitarist to lighten up when he has a hissy fit.

9. Mark 63

Mark 63 Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Connecticut
    Time for a piss break. sorry boys. carry on without me.

BlueTalon, Relayer71, Mark_70 and 8 others like this.
  10. I got into an argument on the dance floor with a front man/guitar player once because he would just start a song that none of us knew. Happened over and over. I told him after the gig that I won't be back. Stump the Band is not acceptable in my opinion.

11. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I might be old school, but I don't understand how a band can function without some kind of a setlist.
    I like to at least know the key that the song is in.

Not only that, but it's really unprofessional when the band is wasting time talking about what's going to happen next.

You have my deepest sympathy... I hope things get better for you... whether or not it's with that band.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    More context is needed.
    How tough and/or obscure are the songs in question?
    Having a large personal repertoire and the ability to pick up certain things on the fly are major assets for any player IMHO. Usually when someone asks me if I've ever played a certain song, my reply is: "I will have in 5 minutes!" Some people have a real knack for leading other through unfamiliar songs onstage.
    Within reason of course. (Bohemian Rhapsody or Heart Of The Sunrise would be a real #[email protected]& move.)

el murdoque, Ekulati and juggahnaught like this.
  13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Bay Area
    LOL yikes I would run for the door, EVEN if it was one of the Stevie songs I know. Like trying to nail the break on Sir Duke without having played it in a bit....trainwreck, no thanks.

14. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Everytime he does it turn the volume knob on your bass off and fake it thru, make him look like the ass...

Bassgeer and BOOG like this.
  15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Most of them are modern metal songs. Don't ask me to name them. I'm not opposed to doing anything but I need a chance to get some knowledge of the song

juggahnaught, smogg and Jefenator like this.
  16. tothemax

tothemax

Nov 1, 2013
    Annapolis Area
    It's one thing to do that at practice, our lead singer multi-instrumentalist does that every now and then with songs he's been working on (sans band). But it's unacceptable to do that in a live situation - if it's not on the setlist, or something the band knows and can play it's asking for a cluster. If the guitar player needs to have an "improv" moment, the band should be prepared for it.

There are always other gig's around...

Relayer71, Bass4Brkfast and Stinsok like this.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I have two words for people that tell me to lighten up; and they aren't Merry Christmas. ;)

Winton, jamro217, ELG60 and 8 others like this.
  18. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Let's play, "Stump the Band." :bassist:

InnerCityBass and Dino78 like this.
  19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    When he calls out a tune you don't know, leave the bass on the stage, take a seat at the bar and have a drink till the song is over.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Milo Spleen, edencab, Mark_70 and 4 others like this.
  20. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    There is a seasoned pro bass player I know, guy that played numerous well sold albums and huge concerts with biggest stars in my neck of woods.
    He knows a lot of songs by heart, of course, and is perfectly prepared for a gig, but when someone improvises and calls a song he doesn't know, he just puts the bass guitar down and chills out. He says that's disrespecting a musician, and by ignoring him, disgrace goes to one who called the song without checking is it ok to play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021