Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I took a trip to the music store today(mini-reviews)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metalbass101, Nov 12, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I live in northern california, and I went to Gordons music and sound to try out a bunch of basses to try to learn something and I took a few basses to try out on a 300 watt Trace Elliot 300 watt 210 combo. I tried a Ibanez SR500, Schecter Omen, SRX300, and some other schector that was a bit more "classical" versy Lakland'ish , and a Fender Zone bass.
    (ALL the basses I tried are active)

SR500: (MIK)
    Bartolini MK1 pickups,walnut body I think,typicial SR shape and feel to it. (They're not REAL Bart pups, just the name)

This was the most comfy of all the basses. It a good sound, clear, versatile, and the neck was heavenly. It was so comfortable I didn't even notice the body on my chest when I was sitting down, nice bass.

SRX300: (MIK)
    Basswood body,SRX standard pickups, simple electronics.

I could definetly feel the diffrerence between SRX and SR here. The neck was a bit bigger and the body, much bulkier. The first thing I noticed was it was LOUD. The SRX was nice to play and I loved the knob design.(simple and effective)
    Just like everyone says,If you versatility and comfort get a SR, and if you just want a good rocker -SRX time!

Fender Zone: (MIM)
    Alder body, single coil PJ pups, string-through-body bridge,
    jazz neck, and no pickgaurd.

I'll be honest, after hearing soapbars, the PJ config. didn't impress me. It's a cool bass though, the body was nice, the neck was fine. Wasn't all that loud though. sounded best with both pickups even. Buy some replacment pups and this thing would be killer though. But it's okay in general.

Schector Diamond series ????: (MIK)
    Jazz neck, J+MM pups,STB bridge, I don't know about the body. 6-bolt neck. Very simillar to Lakland in the looks department.

I dont know the name of this bass. I do know its from the Diamond series. It has a jazz-like neck. J+MM "design by Duncan" pups, string through body bridge, and more "Fenderish" headstock. It had a pretty cool sound. I liked the deepness of the MM pickup. I was a little skeptical of the whole J+MM thing beforehand. But this bass changed me. The MM sound wasn't and thunderous as a EB Musicman bass, but it was alright. I liked it best with both pickups even.
    I didn't care for the neck all that much though. It was kind of...olily and laminated feeling/looking while all the others were just smooth wood. It's not a bad thing, just a personal preference. The most unique sounding bass of the group.
    I'm definetly going to consider a J+MM bass in the future.
    I will say though that compared to the higher up Peavey J+MM basses, this one wooped them in feel and punch IMO.

Schecter Omen: (MIK)
    Big Basswood body,Diamond series soapbars, simple diamond pattern knobs,normal bridge, and standard shector 2+2 neck.
    Also, 6-bolt neck.

This bass. Man, it is one of those basses you feel and play and it just says "YOU". I like this bass alot. I like tone very much. The neck was nice, the body was the heavier of the 5 next to the other Schecter. The only bass that wasn't quieter than this was the SRX. Something about it's tone just grabbed me. All the other basses were nice but this was just me. Once again I like it with the pickups even.

Summary:
    SR500: Versatility and VERY comfortable
    SRX300: A good all around loud rocker.
    Zone: Familiar feeling
    "Classical" Schector: Unique sound, but there's other J+MM's.
    Omen: Good all around feel,sound,looks,and versatility.

I seriously might consider the Omen, I really liked that bass. I need a new bass bad too. I carved sqaures in my crappy little squeir P just trying to loosen/tighten the tuners. And it's only 350 bucks. What do you guys thinks? Any opinions or sugesstions on the following?

2. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    BUMP

3. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Thanks for the review, I've been curious about the Ibanez SR 500's. Gotta check one out now. Izzit a Jazz kinda neck?

4. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Was this the Schecter CV-4 bass?

[​IMG]

Did you play the 4 string or 5 string version? What scale would you give it out of 10 on this bass?

I am thinking of getting one and i want a bass that can cut through the mix, not too sure if i should get a fender american or this schecter CV-4.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

Well to be perfectly honest...I think this neck tottally beats the Jazz neck. (compared to american and mexican Jazzes). This was the most comfortable neck I ever played. I honestly think Ibanez has just hit something with this. I highly recommend it, just be sure to search up what your looking for.

Oh and for the record. Don't let the fact that those MK1's aren't true Bartolini's bring you down anybit. Just think of them as another type of Ibanez pup. They sound pretty good.
    Key word: Versatile

6. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004

Oh that's what it's called. Ok. I played the 4 string version. Take note I have messed around with the 5 string version before (for a little bit anyway) . It's pretty much the same except that 5th string. I really like the sound of slapping the b string on that one. That MM pup is kind of nice. I would have to give that bass in general ...hmmm... something like a 7 or 8 out of 10.Overal good bass.

Well...don't take this as an offence if your a Fender fan but, something about the higher up fender's that just kind of turned me off. For one thing most Fenders are passive-this is active. I heard the difference of active V.S passive . Active just sounds so much more alive sounding. A good Jazz bass is the only this that could macth/outperform the livelyness of this bass. If you went and took a Fender J and turned the jass pup/tone knob up, to get the "punk" sound. That's about the only thing the American series has on this bass but other wise I would check this bass out. This bass can go smooth to agressive to trebely, it's really up to you and what your setup/strings are and stuff.

7. mlwarriner

mlwarriner Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    KC, MO, USA

i dont know what youre looking at budget wise, but i would strongly recommend the srx700 ibanez. they sell at MF for around $600. it has better pickups than the 300 (i think), and is neck-through (if that's your thing).

ive got one that ive played for around 2 years. awesome bass for the bucks. fit and finish was beyond great, and the tone/sound/output of this bass is great as well. i played downtuned proggish metal on it (tuned to drop c#) and the tension on the e was still pretty good.

overall, i dont know of many other basses in the price range that can compare. but im sure there are some, i just dont know about them...

8. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I have played the SRX700. There definetly is a sound difference with the Alinco version of those pups, that's for sure.The weirdest thing was, that this one was a green flammed maple color. It must have been a custom job.They alwase have these really bright colors on it, like honey burst and stuff. I kinda wish it came in a blue burst. It was pretty nice though.

9. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    What did the five gingers say to the face? BUMP!!

(actually it's sopposed to be SLAP!, but whatever)

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    :rolleyes: what a horrible show...

Ray

11. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    o...k....

fingers*

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    You mean there are people in America who don't like Chappelle's Show???? SACRILEGE!!

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I honestly don't like it, I don't find any humor in it at all...

Ray

14. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Why? If people don't want to talk about it, why force them to?