Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I took the Kay Plunge!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mmukav, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Hi everyone. New to the board, new to the URB. I've played bass guitar for years. (for fun, not with a band). I play guitar and mandolin in a folk/bluegrass trio. (Timber Wolves)

I've been wanting to get into upright for a while now, and just had the opportunity to pick up a Kay C-1. It's circa 1950. The finish is kind of rough, but not terrible. Scratches, and chips around the edges, but mostly on the bottom and the back. Structurally it seems good; good nut, tuners are great, tailpiece intact, and a newer adjustable bridge.

It has really good tone, no buzzes or rattles, and it's got some growl to it. It's been a blast to play! (I should have some good callouses by this weekend).

Bought it from a violin shop, so the set-up seems good. I'm going to have a friend that plays upright look it over soon.

Looking foreward to using this great site for help as I go along. I'll keep you posted! ;)

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    welcome to the dark side! We are a nice bunch here. Read the newbie links posted at the top of each forum; they contain a wealth of information.

once again, welcome. just realize you may never see the light again !

DZ

3. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Pictures, where are the pictures?!?

Also, save yourself some time and just put the bass guitar up for sale now...because the only thing it will do from now on is collect dust. ;)

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Congratulations! I recently joined the family myself. The pain is definately worth the pleasure. :D

5. Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Yea Jazzman, I think the bass guitar will be very lonely now!
    Actually, it's an acoustic-electric bass guitar. But not an upright, nonetheless.

The Kay is great! It's been a blast to play. I do need to get a couple lessons for technique mainly. I don't want to wind up with major wrist-hand-finger issues. But so far it's been pretty good.

And the tone! Did I mentioned the tone? I guess 50 years must do a lot for wood!

What fun!

6. I don't have pics as of yet. I'll try to take some next week. Here's a link you can check out from the place I bought it.

www.zaretandsonsviolins.com --click on basses, then scroll down and click on 'Kay Bass'--and you'll see the same one I bought!