Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I totalled my Harley

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Acacia, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tuesday, October 1, 2002, 8:45PM

I was on my way home from a femme's house and hit a log in the road going about 60mph. I flew over the handlebars and rolled all around the asphalt for about 50 feet. I have no memory of the wreck at all or even of turning on to that road. I woke up in the ambulance.

Somehow, I lived. What's more, I didn't break anything. A witness told the police that I had no choice but to hit the log. Apparently I roilled one way and the bike did a few flips the other way. I got road rash and bruises all over me. Both knees got busted open. My face scraped the street but it almost completely healed up already, except for one spot that can be seen in the pics. I had the doc look at my knees again this past thursday. They are healing slowly because of the location of the injuries. He also thinks I have a bruised or slightly fractured tailbone. Only time can heal it.

I was wearing 13" engineer style boots, jeans, long sleeves sweatshirt, leather vest, thin leather gloves and a helmet. All of which helped me.

I should have another bike by this coming Wednesday. :D I am excited about that, but I miss my old one bigtime already.

Pics from the wreck

My biker band has pretty much been defunct since the beginning of the summer. I had a horror rock band going for a bit, but the drummer quit. While we are looking for a drummer, I am playing with a traditional style punk band called The Strap-Ons . Check em out if you like that type of stuff.

I'm alive and getting around pretty well, just still very sore and stiff and probably will be for the next few weeks. I keep finding more bruises every day.

I hope everything is well here in TBland. Sorry that it has been a while since I have visited.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    whoa!!!

nice spill, I'm glad you walked away from it

3. Wow, consider yourself extremely lucky you got out of that alright. Nice to see you're ok man.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    it's a darn good thing you have more brains than machismo and chose to wear a helmet and protective gear.

otherwise.....who knows?

glad to hear/see you're ok. as for the bike - what you getting to replace it?

5. ouch!

and you're buying a new bike right away? :eek:

you're one lucky guy! (well, you would've been luckier if you hadn't gotten into the crash in the first place :rolleyes: )

have a speedy recovery!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm glad your OK man. Good call on the gear too, I was watching that trauma show on TLC and saw a guy get a triple amputation from a bike crash, not good.

7. There's a story to tell your grandkids one day. Glad you made it out man.

8. I saw that, my mom made me watch it after I told her I wanted a bike.

Good to hear you're ok, man.

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Helmets are mandatory here. I always said that when the law is repealed I would stop wearing one, but not now. My head was one of the places that I landed on and a huge chunk was taken out of it.

My bike was a 2001 Sportster 883. I'm buying a 2000 Sportster 1200 from an associate of mine. I'm so excited!

10. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Holy crows feet batman...Thank God you are ok...Speedy recovery and welcome back to TB land:D

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One of my best friends wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for helmets. His dad wiped out on his bike when he was in the air force; the collision with the turf split the helmet in half. That could have been his head! Had he not been wearing his helmet, my best friend would have never been born. That would have made going over to his house all the time really awkward.

Glad to hear you're ok! If my college level memory class taught me anything, you'll remember the accident in bits and pieces over the course of your life, or if you're placed in the same situation again. (At least I THINK that's what my memory professor said... wait... no, yeah, that's it. Maybe.)

So you'll get a crotch rocket next, right?

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sorry to hear about your crash - but I'm glad you walked away so that you could tell us the tale!!!!

Glad you're getting back on a bike so soon!!!

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It's good to hear you're OK dude.:)

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Bummer, dude. I totalled a bike a few years ago too, so I know the score. No helmet, no jacket. I survived with some minor road rash and a shattered collarbone (I broke it in four different places).

You know what they say: There are only two kinds of cyclists out there -- those that have crashed and those that will crash.

I'm glad it wasn't worse for you, Acacia. What are you gonna buy when you heal? I went from a Shadow 1100 to a Ducati Monster! ;)

15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i'm picking up a 2000 Sportster 1200

16. Lordy be! Good to see you're okay man. Why don't ya just build somethin outta the 883? Do it up cafe racer style man...perfect time.

It absolutely kills me when I see guys in slip on shoes, shorts, T-shirt and crappy sunglasses while riding a bike around. Usually it's the "Poser" bike catagory (R1's, CBR's, Gixxer's) that never get above 40mph on their bikes. But the lack of realizing that they can dump it in some sand at 5mph and still get dead. Someone can run you over.

No matter where I'm going, I'm in this.

[​IMG]

And my boots, gloves, jeans and jacket (Joe Rocket phoenix if I'm on a work bike, my 70's racing jacket if I'm on my seca 550). If I wanna be seen, then I can just flip up the shield :D

I think someone done up in full leathers / helmet / boot / gloves on the highway looks cooler than any nimrod poser creeping around any day, any where.

17. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you made it out relatively alright. I wiped out about 3 years ago going around a curve at 60 mph. Not cool! Fortunately, all I suffered were two scraped knees and a sore back from rolling over countless times along the side of the road! The bike, on the other hand. . .

Maybe you should consider getting a full-face helmet! I know you Harley guys don't like to wear those, but they are a lot more protective!

Get back on that steed!:)

18. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i thought about buying the bike back from the ins company, but i declined.

the trooper told me that the way i rolled around, a full-faced helmet probably would have snapped my neck. for once, my faced helped me out. LOL

THis is the helmet I wear:

[​IMG]
    Vega XTS

19. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Makes me wonder.. What was the log doing on the road anyways? :confused:

20. holy crap man, you're in the strap-ons? you guys have played at my school a few times. next time you come, i may give enough of a damn to see you. :D