I traded my Ibanez SR500 for a G&L L-2000 tribute

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christophe C, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    Hello
    One week ago I did a super deal with another bassist.
    I started to play bass two years ago with a SR500. I chose this bass because of the very good reviews : great neck, easy to play, ideal for a beginner.
    But I've never been happy with it because of the neck : it's nice, it's smooth, the frets are well dressed..... but it's too thin for me. The sound was good but I found out that there were too many options with the EQ. I had a revelation when I tried a P bass with a chunky neck. I bought a Squier VM PJ last year and since then I haven't played the SR500 much.
    I tried to sell it but the demand is low here in Belgium and I didn't want to let it go for nothing. I knew that the mid-class Ibanez basses don't hold a good resale value, I didn't care because it wasn't the plan when I bought it.
    So I published an ad saying that I wanted to trade it for another bass. And last week I made a deal with another bassist for a G&L L-2000 Tribute from 2010. The neck was too chunky for him. So it's a perfect deal :)
    G&L are not very popular here in Europe and I never heard of it before last week... mea culpa :)
    I spent a few evenings to clean it and now I am very happy : what a sound !!! and I find that the controls are really easy to play with.
    Photo's to come

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    thumbnail_image1.jpg thumbnail_image3.jpg

This is the bass before being cleaned

The color is blueburst.
    The back is full black, That's a bit strange because usually the back is also blue on the photos found on Google.

osv, TDR1138 and Bass V like this.
  3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    G&L make great basses. Congrats!

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Congratulations. I just sold another bass to get a used G&L Tribute L2000 two days ago. Terrific bass and very versatile. I prefer thin necks but find the L2000 comfortable enough for me- and personally find the sound of the L2000 much more robust the Ibanez SR basses I've owned (I had an SR700 previously - good bass but lacking in that department). Tonally, it reminds me of a cross between a Fender P and a Stingray and everything in between. I seem to prefer playing the L2000 in the passive mode over the active, nice to have the option of both though. Enjoy the bass!

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Hey wait a minute! You aren't supposed to TRADE basses! You are supposed to keep them all! That's why I have G&l L2500, SR506 and a Squire PJ 5. (Yeah life is a bit more difficult when you play 5/6 string. And let me say I LOVE THEM ALL! They each have a very distinctive thing going and oddly the necks are very different but I love all the necks too! The thin SR neck is killer, I love the "chunky" G&L neck which is somehow just right, and I ALSO love the very wide PJ - 5 neck as well. Oddy the neck that irritates me the most these days is my Jazz V neck. most people want to go the other way. Go figure. For the record my G&L is my main axe these days, but I still love the SR and PJ when their sound is needed.

6. Beersurgeon

Beersurgeon

Jul 16, 2010
    Denver
    Congrats on the bass! I have the same bass but the 5 string version. I hope your as happy with it as I am!

7. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Congrats, nice score.

All the Tributes I’ve seen/had have had the outer burst color as the only color on the back, so if they’re bursting the back, it’s gotta be a newer thing. So I wouldn’t worry about it being out of the ordinary.

8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You definitely came out on top with that trade!

bumperbass likes this.
  9. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Good deal. Both are nice basses, but the G&L plays more solidly and musically to my hands and ears. And I'm an Ibanez fan.

10. Christophe C

Christophe C

Feb 15, 2019
    Belgium
    We were both happy. My SR500 was in mint condition, perfectly setup and with an extra set of flatwounds. His L-2000 needed some good cleaning and setup.
    Now I have no excuse to improve my technique :)

jd56hawk likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021