Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I traded my stringray for..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    It may surprise some, but today I traded my 1992 musicman stingray for a used (but mint) all koa lb70 carvin bass. This bass sounds extremely warm and articulate, yet has a very nice snap to the slap tone. The headstock, neck, and body are all koa and it has an ebony fingerboard and wilkinson bridge. Anybody else have one of these or played one? It seems like it cuts through in live situations with solid bottom and records extremely well. I have no complaints about the electronics and the wood and construction are flawless. This is the first time I've played a Carvin bass and I'm totally impressed.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, whatever floats your boat.

Congrats on the new bass. Post pics!

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    I have a LB70 with a flamed koa top, alder sides. I actually just sent it back. It appears the weather change (CA to WA) had an adverse effect on the finish and some bubbles formed. Oh well, if they have to make a new one I'll maybe spring for the P-series upgrade... But I agree. Its one of the best studio basses I've played (with a reasonable price range, hehe)

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    We've all made these kinds of trades at one time or another. I hope you continue to be happy with yours but I suspect there'll come a day when you will scratch your head and say, "What was I thinking?" Hope not, though.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! I was just thinking the same thing, but if it makes you happier than the "Ray, then it's all good.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    This carvin is older, not exactly sure how old, but it's aged a bit. I think it might be from the 80's. It has a monstrous deep tone that the stingray could not provide, both live and on recordings. The stingray was too clacky for me ;)

7. I've played and heard a number of Stingrays that had lots of clack and bite, but none of that deep growl for which they're famous. The strange thing is, some of them have been highly sought-after pre-Ernie Ball models.

I'm not surprised if yours wasn't the same way. There's a surprising amount of variation available.

In pure monetary terms, you probably got ripped off, because there are a lot of people out there who think that a 'Ray is a 'Ray and will pay the same for a tinny POS as for a Thunder Stick. But, if the utility provided to you by this particular Carvin is high enough to offset the loss, good for you!

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    There isn't a huge monetary difference (I bought the stingray used a while back for $750).. The difference is the tone =] It's all about the tone haha.. not a status symbol by saying I have a Stingray (which I wasn't really happy with)..

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The tone you speak of is likely coming from the Koa wood, which was possibly taken from an older tree and which is now nicely aged. Secondly, I believe your bass is neck through, for extra sustain. The pickups are different as well (two stacked humbuckers). You also have an ebony fretboard. I don't think you can do an apples to apples comparison. I think you did quite well. But the Stingray stands on its own merits.

10. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, it's definately an older carvin and has the specs you mentioned (neck through, ebony fretboard, etc). It even has an all koa headstock.. I've been wondering if the pickups are stacked humbuckers or not..? They seem to have a lot of output and I'm really not sure how to know without pulling them out ;) The tone controls are volume, pickup blend, bass and treble (unlike some new carvins with switches/knobs galore).. I might email carvin the serial number and get a definate year on it.. The koa is a bit darker with the age and has the satin finish on it, making it sound and feel great.. I'll post pics of it soon.. Btw, anyone know when carvin stopped using Wilkinson bridges? This bass has one.. Might help me narrow down the years a bit ;) Thanks.

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    pics?

12. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I bought my lb70 new in 96 w/Koa sides 5 piece Rock Maple/Koa neck active pickups and the Satin finish active pups. The bridge is the H50N stacked humbucker and the neck pup is the J99 and it has the Wilkinson bridge. I play it through a Carvin R1000 head and Edens D410T and 215XL. And I just love it tons of great low end. However I have serious GAS for a Warick Thumb right now :)
    Enjoy IMO it's a great bass