1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Trashed My Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stoney, Mar 8, 2008.

1. stoney

stoney

May 18, 2006
    So I decided to put thread inserts on my warmoth neck(goes on a warmoth body too). well I did it to the T as ive seen it on here and some how I got one insert off by what look like a fraction of a millimeter and it wont thread.:rollno: So now Im on im on warmoth looking at new neck being as that I got a case of the stupids and trash my baby. All the others threaded fine except that one. Dont fix what aint broke I guess. I guess I can find some kind of use for it later just had to vent guys.

2. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Slightly enlarge the corrosponding hole in the body- run the next size up drill bit through there. the other three will ensure your alignment is OK.

3. yeah that neck is gone, send it to me and I will get it off your hands, you don't want to look at this disaster no more :)

You are lucky it is just one, you should be able to take out the insert, drill it a bit larger, stick a dowel in with glue, bolt on the neck, mark where the hole should be on the neck, and re-drill. It will still be strong as an ox.

4. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I would go with what Holmann said. Don't try to realign the insert.

5. +1...larger hole in the body is not an issue as the screws act to "clamp" the body to the neck...no screw should ever "grab" the body...

6. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    I've seen some crazy a$$ repairs in my short time in woodwork / luthiery. A threaded insert being slightly off is an every-day "whoopsie". Unless for some reason your neck is in 3 or more pieces, has caught fire, or the truss rod popped through the back of the neck, you don't need to buy a new one. Definitely follow the advice in this thread.

7. stoney

stoney

May 18, 2006
    thanks guys yal have been a great help. Im contemplating plugging the holes and starting over with just screws.