Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I tried a Fender Jazz.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MJ5150, Dec 8, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It took me years until I finally decided to give Fender a try, and see what the big deal was with Fender Jazz basses. Well, I tried one out, and the result?

This is on the FedEx truck to my house right now. Oh yeah, it has the J-Retro upgrade in it.

-Mike

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Theyre nice basses MJ. I'm a big fan of jazz style basses.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    BTW, I have a Geddy I use in the blues trio (side project), and I get tons of comments on the tone. It ain't no boutique bass, which I do have a few of, but I must say it growls with the best of them, that slim little neck is a BLAST to play on, and what's even more fun is, the harder you dig in, the better it sounds... fret buzz and all.

Enjoy, and lemme know how that retro works out. I'm very curious about those.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats hot, love the color with the maple fb.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Very nice Mike,

I've got all sorts of basses, but the Jazz always says "I'm home" when I grab hold of one.

6. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    jazz bass aprecciation thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

same bass, but with cheesy black pearloid pickguard from ebay, that SOB didnt even have the right screwholes :scowl: :scowl:

7. I hate you! ;)

8. That's classy lookin'. Congrats on your new bass!

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to hate fender stuff for a while. I think, for me, it was just that they were everywhere, and I didn't want one that everyone had. But then I started playing them. Both my basses are fender, and one of my "main 6 string piccolo basses" is a modded squier.

10. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Ouch! Killer color/board combo..... that was hillsidebass's wasn't it MJ?

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Jazz bass with Jretro appreciation thread!
    [​IMG]

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive played a MIM jazz (deluxe i think) with those pickups, what exactly are they, do they come stock, deluxe? What? I want to know what this bass was that i played, because it sounded pretty good.

13. woot jazzes!

[​IMG]

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm going to agree with you right here. That is pretty much how I felt. I remember walking into a music shop to buy my first bass, and seeing Fenders all over the place. I told myself right then that I would never own a Fender since everyone owns one. Well, now I know WHY everyone buys them....they are great.

Wow, you guys have some nice Jazzes. I hope to start a collection also.

Ape........you are correct sir. It left his place today, heading this way. I am totally psyched. I may wet my pants when I open the package. :eek:

-Mike

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

here's mine...
    ...but now theres a new white pearloid pickguard on it.

16. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow, that's a great color.

17. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    congrats on the new bass. i always had a love/hate relationship with fender. came close to owning a couple MIA's but backed out at the last second for other better deals (warwick, rickenbacker) and am currently looking into a NOS CAR jass w/ tort guard. im lovin those nitro finishes

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Okay you guys, chillout with the jazz basses! :D

19. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    My bass is an MIA Jazz with fender Noiseless pickups. The bass was originally a passive Fender jazz V. They may come as original equipment on the MIA Jazz deluxe basses but I'm not sure.

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    NO!!:D