I tried a fretless for the first time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roark Haver, May 6, 2003.

1. I played a fretless for the first time last night at my lesson. I had mentioned to my teacher that someday I’d like to try a fretless to see what it’s like, so he brought his along last night.

I thought that I would be much more lost and intimidated than I actually was. The sound and feel was just amazing. The only way I can describe it is “sleek and elegant”. Now I know what “mwah”(sp?) is. I suspect that “mwah” can be addictive.

As I get more proficient on bass I’ve been wondering about getting a five string or trying a fretless. For now I must say, I am VERY intrigued by a fretless. I can hear some wonderful opportunities for using it at Church.
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Yep, you're hooked now.
    How can you not love it?!
    I remember my first encounter. There's no denying it. It will seduce you!
  3. Seduced! That's the right word for it.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  5. Good on ya Roark!!

It's one of those simple pleasures in life that makes you say

"Gee. Why didn't I try this sooner?":confused:

"What if I died without ever trying this??":eek:

:cool: :bassist:
    Congrats on your revelation with fretless!!!!

6. Now I'm thinking that I just might have to get a kit for a fretless four from Carvin just to put one together and to have a decent one to explore with for not too much money.
  7. I have always wondered what a electric fretless is like and the only experience i have on fretless is with DB.
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I never went back to frets. I keep a couple around, but they don't see much playing time.
  9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I was also recently seduced by the fretless sound. ALthough, I don't think that I will ever use a fretless as a main bass, they are awesome to have around.
  10. I used to have a fretless, but then I sold it, so i can help my g**tar player get a new axe, cause the one he had before sucked. And now he's selling the guitar, that i helped him get from the money I got from the fretless. What a punk.:spit:

And yesterday I played my friends fretless, and now I wish I had one:bawl:
  11. PSouth

Mar 15, 2003
    You should have ditched the guitarist earlier on and started a solo career with your fretless!
  12. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I got a fretless skyline 44-02 in a trade & I could not be happier. Fretless electric bass with flatwound strings is just the best.

I havent been using my fretted nearly as much these days. Then again, I have a wenge/walnut cirrus 5 string on the way so that may change soon.
  13. I pulled the frets out of my then only bass so I kinda had to learn how to play the thing. Best thing I could've done. Good luck!

Cheers Rody
  14. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I dont own a fretless but i personally find that they are alot more expressive than fretted basses. They have alot more feeling to them. But sometimes they work and sometimes they dont.
  15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Fretless basses are so much fun played solo... and then you have to play with other musicians and suddenly your intonation (which sounded perfect when no-one else was playing along) goes all weird...

16. Don't you just wish those other musicians would get it together.