1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I tried out a Dingwall Afterburner.........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Friday, I went to look at a USA Spector XL5, and the guy had a new Dingwall 1-5 AB. Well the action was so low on the Spector, I couldn't dig in to get a feel of it, and lost interest when I saw the DW.
    Well, I tell you, I didn't want to put it down! That thing was amazing. Now, It's all I can think about lately.......
    Oh, Man, I'm a mess..!!! Now I am prolly going to let go of my F-Bass.....

2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Dude, you have my sympathies:crying: . Sheldon makes simply fantastic instruments. Of course, there were none to be auditioned that I knew of in Missouri, so I was 'forced' to buy sight-unseen, touch un-fingered:
    [​IMG]
    No regrets, I am diggin' it! I really do need to take more & better pictures of this beauty...

Ken

3. Yep, Dingwall will do it to ya, I love mine

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    they are incredibly nice.

i just have to get used to the fans.

5. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yep, but I kept my F Bass. I wouldn't let go of it unless you just can't afford it.
    Here's mine:

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Here's the other one:

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Heh... and for so long I thought I was the only one. Missouri, secret home of dingwall lovers. [​IMG]

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Somehow, Dingwall is sending me subliminal messages to buy one of these. I am really interested, but also nervous. I'll need to spend some more time on the Dingwall forums interacting with the man himself. They look beautiful. Of course, I have my eye on the Super J 5'er coming out in 2007.

-Mike

9. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    I have an ABII-5 on order. I've never played one or seen one in person. The design just makes sense to me.

10. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    i agree...keep the f bass (or sell it to me cheap)

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    One concern I have is tapping chords with the right hand. It would seem that the very ergonomics that make it easy for the left hand would make it more awkward when tapping chords with the right.

Comments?

12. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Do you do it without looking? If you're watching I don't see anything you couldn't get used to swiftly. JMO.

13. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ideally you are not just staring at the fingerboard while you're playing, so yes...

14. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yes you do. I've never seen an Afterburner with a finish quite like that. What's the body wood? Alder?

Anyway, nice bass you got there. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

15. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    After looking at the fretboard again, I think I'm wrong. It looks like the higher frets are slanted correctly for right hand tapping.

16. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    grygrx - way cool Whale Pool, brother! We now know of two residing in MO.:D

fookgub - Thanks! Sheldon calls this finish Indigo Burst. Very beautiful blue that subtly lightens toward the center. Yes, the body is alder (didn't feel like forking over more $ for a fancy top this time). He does do a nice sunburst, doesn't he?

It's such a joy to play. My shoulder likes it too! (8.0 lbs)

Ken

17. I played one once, and I actually found the bass tricky for me to play in the upper register with my left hand, especially the tap parts. I suppose it's just something you'd get used to at some point though.

18. I tried an Afterburner 1 at Bass Central. A few months later I ordered one. Fantastic instrument. It looks like Fookgub's. That colour is called honey amberburst.

19. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    OK, this thread has piqued my interest... is anybody REALLY spending a lot of their time tapping (chords or otherwise) with their right (or left, for lefties) hands ON ACTUAL GIGS? Is it actually a requirement for any gigs (or tunes) that anyone is currently playing, or is it just being used as a noodling device?

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I understand that.:) I meant while you get used to the change, but it looks like you answered your own question.