I tried the LaBella Jamersons...some thoughts...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DaveB, Dec 5, 2000.

1. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    After having TI Jazz Flats on my '75 Fender Precision for quite awhile I decided to try the Labella Jamerson set.The TI Jazz Flats have been far and away my favorite string.I also have the TI's on my Fender J.
    Well, they're both Flatwound but that's where the similarity ends.The TIs are skinny (.43 and up)the Labellas are fat (.52 and up).If the Golden Gate Bridge needed emergency cables they just need to get a set of Jamersons.These are very big strings.But being Flats they don't kill your fingers.

The TIs have very low tension which makes them "Slinky" to some and "rubbery" to others.It's the only thing I don't like about Jazz Flats.The LaBellas have very high tension which I find to be a bonus compared to the TIs.It's easier on the pluck the LaBellas (nice on quick 16th note lines)but the TI's are easier to fret on the other hand (no pun intended).I play/practice a lot and even so I think the LaBellas will add a new layer of callouses to my fret hand.

Tonally they are on separate planets. The Jazz Flats have a more subdued top and bottom with the top being very smooth and the bottom very "thuddy" much like an accoustic upright.
    The Jamersons are old style Fender Precision boom and sparkle. The bottom is much bigger than the TIs (boom) and the top is much more pronounced and forward (sparkle).The mids are a saw- off.

One more thing...I had to set the action on my P higher to accomodate the Jamersons.But its not so high as to be a problem.

If I were a full time Jazz player I think the Jazz flats would be the string (duhh.."Jazz" Flats???).But my thing is high energy Chicago blues and classic R&B.The perfect string, for me, would have:
    From the LaBellas - the lows and the tension
    From the TIs - the highs and the gauge

I think I have two favorite strings now.I think I'll leave the LaBellas on the P and leave the TIs on the J.
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I totally agree with your assessment, Dave. I use the Jamerson's on my '64 Precision and the TI's on my '97 AmDlxJazz fretless. Great strings for different purposes.
  3. Could I get the Jamersons and put them on my Squier P Special? I mean will those bad boys fit on my nut???
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    ThePaste ~ The problem I had with the J/J set (besides bustin' the
    plastic nut on my cheap-a$$ Yamaha) was the silk end-wraps clearin' the nut.

I still have the J/J set and thought this info might help...
    (from the ball-end to where the silk-wrap starts)

E ~ 35 1/2" / A ~ 38" / D ~ 38" / G ~ 38"

I dunno why the E's shorter than the rest. Maybe somethin'
    to do with the 4-in-line, Fender-type arrangement.

Check the above dimensions on the strings that are currently
    on your Squier (ball-end to silk-wrap).

I'm guessin' if DaveB and boogiebass can get the J/J set on their Precisions,
    you should be able to fit them (in the nut slots) on your P-Special.

[Edited by notduane on 12-26-2000 at 09:26 AM]
  5. Thanks notduane :) you da man. And PS: Those Jamersons are Xpensive!
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have two brand new sets of Jamerson Labella's if anybody is interested. Never been out of the package. Email me if...

7. Those of you who have installed the "Jamerson's" on your P-Basses, did you go top-mount, or through-the-body? I have an AmStd P and it is through-the-body. That "E" might be a little short.
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't have a P-bass, but I'm thinkin' you're right that they wouldn't
    "measure up" on a through-body setup. On the other hand :rolleyes: ...
    I've got an old 70's fretless Gibson Ripper with through-body stringing, 34" scale,
    and two humbuckers. I've tried a few "extra-long" flatwound sets on her...
    Thomastik-Infeld JF364 Jazz ~ (44-57-72-96) good feel, high output, light, lotta' "MWAH".
    Rotosound RS-77EL ~ (45-65-85-105) "Monel" material, Steve Harris tone (clanky?), stiff.
    Rotosound RS-88EL ~ (65-75-100-115) Nylon Tapewound, also stiff, good solid thud, "woody".

(yeah, I'm usin' the tapes now :D ).

Any one of these flatwound, extra-long sets would probably work for you.

[Edited by notduane on 01-06-2001 at 12:34 AM]