(I tried the search feature) I need feedback on highway 1 and standard Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 9, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I finally decided to see what all of the hype is about fender basses, but i'm not gonna spend more then $400 bucks. I'm interested in the high way one jazz or p basses or the standard fender jazz or p bass.

Instead of asking which one is better, I just want some feedback about both series from my fellow, more experienced bassists.

Here is what I'm looking for:

1) A great quality passive bass for $400 bucks from fender.

2) something that sounds good when I plug it in and looks nice while playing, nothing more, nothing less.

3) Something ideal for reggea, ska, and jimi hendrix tunes (fire, voodoo child slight return), and classic rock (brown eye girl)

That's the only requirements i'm looking for. I don't need built in nuclear reactors, secret weapon compartments or all that other fancy shmancy jive. Just give me a decent sounding and looking bass for me to hold down the low end.
  2. truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    that price range is fender MIM, maybe a used highway, but you need to be lucky in a find
  3. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    ^^true. I paid about $600 for my hwy. 1 new.
  4. I just sold an MIM Fender P-Bass (FSR with a natural ash body) that sounded and played GREAT! I also bought the same bass, but a Jazz that after a $25 setup sounded and played great too. Both were less than $400 out the door. Buy from a place like Guitar Center, take it home to try out with your rig, return it if you don't dig it.

Mighty fine stuff coming out from Fender in that price range now. Just be willing to give it a good setup...