1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I turned my bass cab into a ATV! (Vertical 4X10 Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RadioactiveGuy4, Oct 12, 2019.

1. So I have a vertical 4x10 stack. I love the way it sounds but it’s kinda hard to move around. To make life a little easier I decided to attach the two cabs together with ratchet straps to make one solid cabinet. The lower cab already had casters on it but they were pretty small so if I was rolling down the sidewalk they would get stuck in the smallest of cracks or bumps and New Orleans is not known for its smooth side walks or streets. So to make life easier I decided to get some beefy casters!

Old wimpy casters:
    6DA3569E-BB41-45EC-A956-FE8C70B744D5.

New Beefy Casters!
    BD7DCB1B-CB48-4307-A7A7-4D6B923A7136.

Final Product:
    1B37D096-FE40-47FD-8AA2-0CDB01300718.

2623746B-4FED-4F0F-809D-1B3969726F18.

it’s as tall as a fridge and pretty darn easy to move now!

ERIC31, jazzbass_5, MuttThud and 17 others like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Cool! The casters are awesome.:thumbsup:

Check out Rock Carts like @BassCliff uses.Might be an alternative.

RadioactiveGuy4 likes this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Every Memorial Day Weekend we use to have a show on the Beach.

Generators and everything.

problem was getting stuff down the rough hill to the beach

those big old romper stomper wheels might have helped.
    is it hub lock or to you engage the 4 wheel drive from the cab LOL

4. I’m playing a show tonight so we will see just how well they do.

They are considerably heavier then the old wheels and due to the added height I had to readjust the way I load my car.

5. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    It looks like if the new wheels get in the wrong position the cab may fall to the side.

murphy, Rockbobmel and tjh like this.
  6. I definitely hope not.

Once I finished installing the wheels I did a quick test an the stack feels stable.

I’m more interested in how it deals with the streets and sidewalks. I’m playing just outside of the French Quarter so it should be a good test.

Jim Carr and DrMole like this.
  7. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    thanks! .. you read my mind, but I didn't want to say it ...:sorry:

Stumbo likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    I suggest facing each wheel towards a corner to make sure of the stability. Just in case. :thumbsup:

They're big enough to get your cabs even closer to your ears.

I look forward to your next report.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    sorry, but how is that not tipping over on the very first bump you hit?

aside from just using some sort of cart, i would have put the wheels on the broad side of one of the cabs so it would be stable for moving, then i could just stand them vertically once they got where they needed to go.

at the very least you might have removed the plastic corners and put the wheels as far out to the corners as possible.

man, this just looks like a smashed top cab waiting to happen :nailbiting:

10. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    need a drill motor hooked to the bottom of cab and to the floor and let-her rip

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    murphy, RadioactiveGuy4 and Stumbo like this.
  11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Now you just need a rotary blade. [​IMG]

Warpeg, RadioactiveGuy4 and Stumbo like this.
  12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I used to gig a stage that wasn't level, I always had to lock 2 of my casters or my cab would roll away... I noticed none of your casters have locks, so you might find something that'll block at least 2 of your wheels and keep it in yer gig bag just in case.

Cardsfan_69 and Stumbo like this.
  13. I dig it. Yeah the factory style smaller casters are pretty worthless depending on what venue I play. Sometimes they work fine but they don’t roll for crap on dirt/sand or gravel, sometimes they even get stuff on small cracks in a sidewalk.

14. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    I like your style, @RadioactiveGuy4! I pronounce you an honorary Oregonian :D

MattZilla and RadioactiveGuy4 like this.
  15. Well my new wheels did great!

I had no issues with the cabs being unstable. The new wheels are heavy enough that it helps lower the stacks center of gravity and actually makes it hard to tip over.

I got lucky last night and got to park directly in front of the venue so I didn’t have a lot of obstacles to try to clear other than the curb but I had no issues with it. I was able to tip the stack back and pop it over the curb.

Once inside the stage had a small slant to it but I positioned the stack so that they wouldn’t move and they stayed just like that for our set.

Overall, I’m happy with the project. It’s not perfect but it’s better than the old wheels. Essentially I have gained better rolling mobility and a few inches of height at the cost extra weight which I don’t feel unless I actually have to lift the stack. If I had to go up a flight of stairs then I would remove the ratchet straps and carry the cabs individually.

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I decided to make a dolly my cab is strapped on to...with beefier wheels for the same reasons as you....and short sides
    But no damage to the cab should a wheel ever get ripped....I do not drill directly into my cabs

Has lasted me 22 years so far....standard 24 inch wide....Eden...Sadowsky...Markbass ...Bergantino...and Epifani

five7 likes this.
  17. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Pics?

18. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    626. 627. 628. 629.

19. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Great idea! I may have to do that. Carrying cabs sucks, rolling cabs in and out is definitely the way to go. I use a hand truck to move mine now but this would make one less thing to pack!

murphy likes this.
  20. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Albion
    The setup looks awesome and Im sure it sounds the same. My first thought was voiced above, be careful you don't tip it over, catch a rut when moving. I have a tall skinny 6x10 cab that has normal sized casters and it's tipped over once (when moving it) and I've caught it a couple other times when it almost did.