I turned my P into a PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steamboat, Jul 7, 2001.

1. My good old Peavey Fury is now equipped with a Dimarzio Model J DP123 at the bridge. I bought this pickup for $10 on ebay. :)

I had my dad do all of the routing and I did all of the soldering. I must admit that I cringed the first time the router was plunged into my bass, despite the fact that my dad is a pretty skilled woodworker. The control cavity also had to be routed slightly larger to accomodate another potentiometer. The end result of the routing was flawless as far as I'm concerned. With everything put together it looks like it was meant to be that way.

The bass used to have a strange wiring setup (after looking at a bunch of wiring diagrams and reading up on the subject.. I actually have no idea how it worked) and the parts probably weren't very high quality (the pots were a bit scratchy) so I decided to entirely replace the electronics, with three new 500k pots, a Switchcraft jack, and a new capacitor. I wired it up as vol vol tone.

The bass now has a very distinct look. It has a red body, white pickguard, black cover for the P pickup, white cover on the J, and a set of black Jazz bass knobs (I thought I'd differ from the norm of having dome knobs on this sort of bass, and I'm very pleased with the result). I should have a picture to post sometime in the near future.

The new J pickup has a nice cutting tone, which is exactly what I wanted. The output seems about the same as my P pickup. The P pickup also definitely sounds better than it used to. Fuller is probably the word I would use for it. I'm attributing this to the improved electronic components and wiring setup.

The only bad thing is that it seems as if the pickups are out of phase with each other (can't say I wasn't warned about mixing pickup brands.. hasn't hurt me any by trying this out though, as I've gained a nice solo bridge pickup tone). They don't seem to blend together at all (for instance, if I have the P on full volume.. moving the J volume around won't make a difference in sound until it is maximized.. same thing applies if the J is maxed). If both volumes are near each other there seems to be phase cancellation. The bottom end totally drops out. This is actually a very interesting sound, but I have no use for it (I doubt my band would appreciate the phase cancelled tone ;)).

I'd really like to be able to have useable blended tone. Is there any way to fix the phase cancellation, short of shelling out some money for a Dimarzio Model P to replace the existing pickup?