Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I unquit.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Aug 22, 2002.

1. I've had enough. I'm done with not playing music.

What was it, six days? :oops:

First things first; I have to apologise to and thank everyone who responded to my ill-conceived post on the weekend with sympathy and advice. I got a lot of support and information which at the time I wasn't interested in digesting, but is looking pretty good right now. I intend on utilising a lot of that advice now that the wobbly is over.

Thanks guys.

Basically life without an instrument to practice is unlivably boring. I can't do it. Even if music had become an empty ritual to me, and by no means does my unquitting mean that it hadn't, it was still the glue holding my existence together. That isn't to say that my wobbly signified nothing; most of the things which I said in that thread were simply correct. Music WAS an unquestionable axiom for me. I don't like my playing. There is a vast lack of lasting achievement in my musical life. And I don't currently get enough out of music to make life enjoyable.

I see a number of things which I can do to try and get more out of music. A teacher, and then a band. Some shiny equipment. More importantly, currently I split my time and musical personality between a large number of musical styles and instruments, with the result that I don't actually have the time to spend on any one of them to reach a satisfactory point. The trouble is that I like too many types of music too much. :rolleyes: So, my electric guitar and twelve-string acoustic are going in the loft. When somebody invents the thirty-six hour day, or I get laid off work, I'll dig em out again.

Now, I am off to feel embarrassed and play some bass.

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    hey dude - welcome back? Glad you have made a decision to stick around, and keep playing bass.

Don't worry about feeling of under achievement - I have them all the time!!! It just makes me want to try harder! Although I'm not great, I derive much satisfaction from my playing!

Hope you start to feel better about yours!!!! A teacher may be a good idea! I have thought about this - I've been playing for about 15 years and have never had a teacher. I might try to find someone that can teach me music theory and to slap - I try to slap but I'm rotten at it!!!!

And a band - this is a lot of fun!!!!

All the best!:)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    drama queen :rolleyes: :D j/k. welcome back.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey - no takebacks! Get outta here!!!

(Welcome back, although you never really left!)

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Knew you'd come around. Welcome back.

6. Welcome back bud.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, now go get a band and have some fun. It's what playing is about, not to mention you'll have something to work for and being in a band helps to develope your playng a bunch! :)

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Very good. :) Take your time, now. Get a teacher if you can. Set realistic goals.

And welcome back to the party!

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh like no one saw THIS coming... i mean,, who can quit MUSIC?!?!?!

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you need is some new gear. Yeah, that's the ticket. Some really bitchen new gear. That'll do ya' for maybe six months. Then what? New gear. That's what I do. When I get burnt out, some new gear always hits the spot. So try a little new gear. Better yet, a lot of new gear. EXPENSIVE new gear. Go for it, dude!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You think I'm joking around? HA!

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You are completely right though... As you recall his gear is:

A bass. A tiny, trebly, awful, one channel, dirty, old, malfunctioning, noisy, amp.

Dude. Get a job, save up some cash, and buy some better gear.

13. Hey, don't knock that amp. It does a damn good job for a 40W SS guitar practice puppy. :)

Now I am a monied gentleman however, something of slightly higher class might well be required...

I love yous guys.

14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    WE GOTS TO STICK TO GETTA!