Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I upgraded my MIM Jazz-very happy now!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Beefbass, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey everybody, I got an early christmas present-I got to upgrade the pickups in my 2000 MIM Jazz.

I have the DiMarzio Ultrajazz pickups, wired to 250K push'pull volume pots (put in a good tone pot while I was at it.)

All I can say is, BIG improvement over the stock single coils. Good botton, nice highs, and no single coil noise! In series mode, this bass sounds very fat. Especially using the neck pickup, with the tone rolled off a bit.

I use TI jazz flats, and I love the sound. With a pick, or fingerstyle-this thing sounds incredible IMHO.

I think a set of Model J's will find their way into my 2002 MIM fretless, because they have more of a midrange boost than the ultrajazz does, according to Dimarzio's website.

I want to say while I'm here-I got my pickups and pots from Brian at bestbassgear.com I'am vey pleased with the service I got from him-ALWAYS replies to you quickly, is very friendly, and got the pickups and pots to me within 2 days. A local guy here on the Cape put them in, using a wiring diagram I got from Dimarzio.

So, the bottom line is-I'm a happy camper with my MIM fretted jazz now. :)

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Congrats! :)

I agree with your comments on Brian @ bestbassgear.com, it is very pleasent to do business with him!

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I will be buying from Brian again-he's awesome. :)

Are those pickups in your Fender the stock single coils, or did you change them? They look different from Fender pups for some reason, but it may just be me.

Take care my friend :)

Tim

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Oh, I forgot to mention-the whole idea of using push pull pots came from what I read here in the pickup forum. Especially Smash's review of the different J style Pickups.

Thanks Smash! What a difference the series/parallel option makes.

Tim

5. Tim, thats great to hear. Have fun with the fretless project!

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The MIM Jazz is a wonderfully constructed bass that got the short end of the Fender stick when it came to pickups. Especially those made during or before 2001, when we got two bridge pickups, for some reason or another.

Once I put Bartolini's in my fretless MIM Jazz, I had a whole new instrument.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Superduck, I couldn't agree more. The standard pickups were ok, but the Dimarzios have made it a whole new animal. All the notes come thru clean and clear, and the series parallel option gives you much tonal variation.

As for the fretless, well-the Nordstand NJ4's are looking like a great possibility too. Especially after reading Smash's review of those.

Decisions decisions..............It will either be the Model J's, or the Nordstrands.

Oh BTW, I took a good look at those MIM standard single coils after they were changed-CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!! Glad they're gone!

Tim

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Take the next step and get Brian to sell you an onboard preamp. Those Ultra Jazz pickups will come ALIVE!

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    yeah i ordered a BA II bridge from Brian and it came very quickly..mucho props!

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Model J's I ordered for my MIM fretless came right away also-hats off to Brian! :)

Tim

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    BTW, I took off the TI jazz flats, and put on a set of D'addario XL's .45-.100 They go much better with this setup IMHO.

Even happier now! :)

Tim

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If you like the XL's, then I would recommend trying a set of D'Addario Slow Wounds. In my ears, they do everything the XLs do and more. Deeper, more articulate, a little less "vanilla". That's I what I have on my P-Bass right now. Fantastic.