i use limiter, chorus, auto-filter, what next?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Oct 22, 2005.

1. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    im using the following:
    boss limiter /enhancer
    boss bass chorus
    maxon auto filter

i play jazz /fusion/funk what could be a good addition to these effects? i do a lot of soloing so maybe something really wacky?
  2. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Maybe a synth?

And, although I don't think it's really in the wacky category, the new EHX POG looks like it could be tremendous. 1 octave up, 2 octaves up, 1 octave down, plus a filter. :eek:

By the way, how's the AF-9?
  3. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    the AF-9 is IMOP the best filter pedal, maybe second to the Mutron 3. I tried the EH, Jaques, EBS and they were all okey but didnt have that thick rubbery sound that you kind of imagine. i think you should try them all out though next to each other, which is what i did and that way you can see the difference.

i read some reviews of the Boss Synth and they weren't very good but i have noticed that Christian McBride uses one (check out his gear page) so if he uses one maybe its not so bad after all?
  4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I think I see what you mean. The Jacques Trinity is great, but not "thick". I knida miss this... Maybe I should try this AF-9...

I would add a great overdrive to your board. Then, a phaser. And maybe a synth, or another strange sound generator, such as ring mod or lo-fi filters.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd add a distortion that allows blending of clean and dirty tones. Don't know which kind you'd want, though. Everyone likes something different. I like the Keeley modded Rat II I have.
  6. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    yes i have a TZ2 but i think its a bit 'rude' in a jazz fusion kind of context but i love it when im touring with Rock groups (great for when the guitarist plays a solo). whats a good phaser, i like pedals with volume controls, so what do you think about the PH3 Boss phaser?

in fact thats the only problem i would say with the AF-9 is that it doesn't have a volume control (the jaques and EH i think do) and there is a slight volume boost when you click it on. But in a gig situation its just what u need, its at home late at night when im practising ,especially if you live in an apartment.