I usually don't pick through trash, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RumbleBot, Sep 17, 2003.

1. OK. I hope that this isn'ttoo off topic, but I just though that I'd like to share this. Tomorrow morning is trash day, and somebody just threw out an SWR-400S! I'm not kidding! In the rubbish! My roommate grabbed it for me. Hooked it up to my Aguilar GS112s and it sounds awesome! What a find! Beaten up a bit and has some iffy pots, but definately worth fixing up. Now I need more cabs. ;)
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have found an atari console with 40 games, a laser printer, one of my favorite guitars, and other assorted cool stuff that someone threw to the curb. Nice find!
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I love large item trash day. Once I got a whole organ! Lots of my furniture comes from the curb too. I got a good pair of stereo speakers, and my most recent find was a Karaoke machine.
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Around here, they'll arrest you for that. Once it hits the curb, its city property. I guess it matches well with the other garbage out of city hall...:(
  5. I know a guy who works at a dump in a rural community who got a Hammond B3 and a Leslie!
  6. One of my favorite bass cabs ever was found in a pile of trash in the alley behind my house! It was an old Peavey 4x12 (circa '78) that somebody had yanked the speakers out of. I bought some decent drivers, wired it up stereo with a new jack-plate and had one of the most badass 2x12-2x12 bi-amp set up's EVER (all in one cab!)!!! I like it when people throw cool stuff away.:D
  7. I haven't found any amps or cabs in the trash (yet), but a friend did give me a Rickenbacker 4001 that he was planning to toss into the garbage, since he was moving away and didn't have time to sell it. It became my first bass. I still have it.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    What kind of person just throws a Ric into the trash? He didn't even have time to walk down to the pawn shop and get a few bucks for it? Lucky for you eh! :D

Best I've ever found is a computer monitor...
  9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Same deal around here. The reason is because the "trash rats" make an almighty mess as they go through it. It often ends up all over the road and footpath where it can cause an accident/injury.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh having said that, I would probably have grabbed that amp. Too good too ignor..............
  11. Way to good to ignore. Only found one annoying thing about it. Is it common for this amp to 'pop' when you turn it on? It's nowhere near a full power 'pop', but it can be annoying.
  12. GregoryJ

Mar 17, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    The "pop" is normal and doesn't do anything to your speakers. I have found that if I keep the gain pots down, the sound isn't so loud. Great find. Even if it requires some work, that's a great amp.

(owner of a SM-400 and happy with it)
  13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Just to reiterate what Greg said, the pop is normal. It even says so in the manual.

What a great find:D
  14. Man, good score! I've picked up all manner of bicycles (most 50's retro rubbish) and sheet metals, but nothing of real "value". I'm sure though a few of my used-gear bargains were originally curb stock!

Although one night we found a complete set of rust-free replacement body panels for a friend's Triumph Herald!
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You sir, have the greatest avatar ever!

16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Geez, I hate you people. The best I've ever done is finding a $20, in the parking lot at 7-11. That was like, 20 YEARS ago, too...
  17. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Part of our "luck" is that you have to be willing to look in the trash. Many people are self-conscious and worry about what people will think of them if they're spotted rooting through a dumpster.

Large item day in a ritzy neighborhood near me is a bonanza. Basically, these people are too rich to consider having a garage sale for stuff they don't use anymore, and they're too busy to bring it down to the Goodwill and donate it, so they put it on the curb once a year. To take advantage of their great "trash" you have to be willing to smile at them and say "Hi!" when they drive past you in their Mercedes as you're hefting their old gas grill into your truck. I'm sure some neighborhoods would call the cops on you for this, but near me it's almost a tradition. Last large item day, there were at least 10 other trucks cruising the trash piles at 6 am, and it was almost a race to get to the best stuff first.

I have no shame and a pickup truck. Here is my list from the last large item day.

Misc. Preamp tubes
    Diamond Rio MP3 Player w/ headphones
    2 foot lockers
    2 oscillating fans (1 turned out to be broken)
    4 sets of shutters
    2 large blinds
    a patio furniture set
    2 big cushions
    leather laptop shoulder bag
    gumball machine

and probably some other stuff I can't remember. It actually really upsets me seeing the city guy come by later and toss all that stuff into the garbage truck. It's a real waste. Sure, some of it is garbage, but a lot more is perfectly useful. There was a cool story in The Onion about a garbage guy who finally gave up caring about all the perfectly good stuff people toss, but I can't find it now.
  18. Yeah, lucky me. Now if I could only find someone throwing out a Sadowsky or F Bass... :D
  19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This has to be the STUPIDEST (I mean that in a good way, trust me!) score I have EVER heard of!!!! Some halfwit tossed an SWR 400?!?!?!? And someone was ACTUALLY going to throw away a Ric 4001?!? They aren't disposable, folks!!!

I mean, W-T-everlovin'-F is this world coming to?!?!?!

I think I'm headin' down to the dump after work, see if I can't scrounge up an old Ford Pinto or something...

My GOD! :eek:

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    jondog....you got enough room in your trailer for all of that stuff? hehehe