I wanna an Alembic!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Feb 7, 2002.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello... I'm raising money to buy an used Alembic, but I don't wanna one of the "cheap" ones... I don't like their aesthetics.
    I wanna find an used Series I, Series II or Signature bass... I REALLY love strange body shapes, and I would prefer a 4 strings. Could you help me?
    If you know any selling/buying site or dealers... please, post the URL!
    I'm selling all I can to own an Alembic. :(
  2. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Then you should love mine... short, fat, balding... oops :eek:, you meant basses didn't you? :D

- Frank.
  3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Mmmm... ROTFL...
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There's a used Alembic over at Bass Northwest (www.bassnw.com), and they always have a few new ones in stock.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you're interested in a great 5 string custom fretless Alembic, contact Bass Alone in San Diego (bassalone.com). High end all the way with side LED's, really cheap.
  6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have an Alembic Orion 5 fretted with the Orion Electronics (vol, pan bass, treb) and though it is one of the less expensive basses, it isn't cheap by any means. I bought it used for about $1000 and it is by far the best instrument I've ever had. A friend of mine has the next higher entry that is a neck through (all maple) and has the next higher grade electronics (Europa Electronics) and I actually prefer mine more. More warmth, less fuss and fewer sounds I don't want, use or need.

So I'd recommend that you try an Orion to see if you might like it. It's not a Series 1 or 2 with all the exotic woods and what not, but it is a really high quality instrument for a lot less $$. And if you custom order one, you can get it with whatever kinod of wood you like.

I'd love to have this one:

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/alembic_orion_cocobolo_5_st.htm

and this one looks just like mine with the exception of the additional string and the Europa Electronics, which, IMO, aren't as flexible as the simple vol pan, bass & treble (I know that there are folks that will feel differently, but this is just my opinion):

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/alembic_orion_6_st_europa.htm

I would not go for this Excel model:

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/alembic_excel_BEM_4_st.htm

but the Essence model is nice,

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/alembic_essence_5_st.htm

and the Rouge is nice too, but only has a different body shape and more options. the electronics are the same as in the 6 string Orion I linked to above. Although some people don't like the long horn:

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/alembic_rogue_5_st.htm

Check out this one at Guitar Resurection:

7. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

I understand your desire for a Alembic. They are my favorite bass guitar. I currently play a Europa 5 string and it suits my needs nicely.

As to your query, 4 string Series I basses seem to be in the most plentiful stock in the high end Alembic used market. The going price is between 2000 - 3000.

As for resources, eBay, bassgear.com, and Bass Northwest have them come up regularly. Additionally, check out the Alembic Basses Club on Yahoo. Recently, I've seen a guy who is selling what appears to be a very nice 4 string Series I.

Happy Hunting,
  8. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Can you post any URL of Alembic Clubs? :rolleyes:
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
  10. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanx a lot!! If I'll not be able to afford what I want, no problems: I'm actually waiting for a hand made six strings bass, from my Warwick luthier :p
    However I fell in love with the Series II and the Omega Heart shape, and I really love Stanley Clarke's sound... so I MUST get one of these beaut. I'll let you know!

11. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA

What appears to be a Series I sold on eBay last night for $931. If this bass is in any kind of working order, the winning bidder must be beside himself with this score.

Just a word to the wise to get your cash together and be ready to act. The instrument of your dreams is out there.

12. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Saw the one you're talking about on eBay. Thought about placing a bid on it for a friend of mine (like I need another Alembic ;) )

The neck crack was one consideration, but what REALLY backed me off was the hum canceller. Take a good look at the bass again. Looks like the hum canceller was replaced with something HUGE in between the two pickups.

13. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, I would prefer spending a lot more to have a perfect instrument. My luthier said: if the headstock is broken, the bass will never sound like before.