i wanna b a luthier

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dustklose, May 2, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hey....i love guitars and i'd really really like to go to school to be a professional luthier...is this something a should go after??? i've loved guitars for a long time...and i'd really like to make them professionally!! my dream is to make guitars for peavey...but i dream big...my main question is....is this something i could accomplish?? is it something that could serve as a main fulltime job???

any help is nice thank you
  2. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Try searching the forums for similar threads. :eek: ;)
    Suffice it to say that this topic has been pretty well covered already.
  3. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004

The first step is learning to construct a sentence.
  4. Tdog

May 18, 2004

Now.....Be nice, Cerb. The man is asking a simple question.
  5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    To answer your main question, yes, it can be a full time job, and it is for many people, whether they work for someone like Ken Smith or Gibson, or if they own and run their own business.

As far as working for someone like Peavey, what you could do for them would depend greatly on your education. I would dare to say that working for them as a builder would mean assembly line factory work, ie: you're not going to build a guitar from start to finish but your job is to route the pickup holes in every guitar as it comes down the assembly line... all day...every day.

If you were to decide to start your own line of guitars, there is way more to it than just the building process. You'll have to know how to run a business, interface with customers, track all of your expenses, especially the small ones that you wouldn't think would add up to that much (you really would believe how much $$$ you spend on sandpaper per instrument....), all of your income and then figure that against your expenses to determine your pricing based on your desired yearly income if you figure you can produce X number of instruments per year, learn how to work with all of your suppliers, etc.

Finally, there are many different "branches" of lutherie, including violins, cellos and upright basses, acoustic guitars, harps, banjo's, electric basses, etc. Most "luthiers" end up focusing on just one of them (ie: Ken Smith or Sadowsky, or Gledura or others) to allow them to really refine and specialize, plus, like many of us, myself included, one of the "branches" of lutherie is where our passion lies.

If you want to work for someone like Peavey, simply contact their HR department and ask what their requirements are for working as a guitar builder, do they have a custom shop area, etc... etc. Then simply put together a plan to meet those requirements whether it be attending luthier school, whatever.
  6. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    thank you...at least some pple on here are nice enough to help somone!!!
  7. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Ironically I find bassists to be some of the nicest people on the planet. i think we were just put off by your netspeak writing style is all.
  8. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    I'M SORRY about that.....haha i write different....haha cant help it....
  9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you want to go into business for yourself, good communication skills are a big plus. There's nothing worse than getting to the end of a project and realizing that your customer was expecting something different than what you've provided.
  10. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Handcrafting a bass is easy but the problem starts when you try to make a living out of it or try to sell at a decent price.
    Bassists or guitarists are extremly demanding for their money,
    because they think that luthiers don't pay for the product
    they use to handcraft a bass or a guitar.
    20 years experience as a maker and a repair man
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    It may seem stupid, but if you DID want to start your own business, it's little things like the way you type and use spelling/grammar that could put customers off you and onto someone else.

Just to point that out :)
  12. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    English is my second language "Popinfresh"
    may be you know only one language in Australia and can not make basses
  13. Boy, Rene, when I look at popsadaisy's entry, it appears that he was repsonding to the original poster who wanted to start his/her own business. I don't think he was speaking to your grammar, spelling, etc. in his post. It's not polite or appropriate to attack unrelated personal attributes (bass-making abilities) just because you think he was attacking your grammar.

BTW - It seemed to me that your post was pretty well constructed compared to many Native-Tongue English speakers.
  14. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Hey man, anything's possible, right? I never thought I could make myself a bass, but I'm trying anyway, and things are going pretty well. It seems like you're at an age where you have one of the most important things going for you: time. You're still young to the point where you can dedicate a few years to learning how, getting down your chops, and making a go at it. Don't half-a$$ it!

By the way: as a teacher, it kills me to read the "shorthand" typing that shows up on forums and such (I won't give you a hard time about it), but all-in-all I think the folks here have actually been pretty nice about it. Go to mimf.com, type out what you did and see what happens :smug: