I wanna be a Youtube Warrior! (Interface + software questions..)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jackotheclown, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Hey TBers

I've been thinking, it's time to get my playing out there on Youtube. I never thought I would do it, I always thought it was a waste of time and just what "bedroom musicians" do. But the more I think of it, the more I think it would be a swell way to get my playing out there to people and showcase what I can do for potential students.

My question is, what hardware do I need to achieve this? I have a GoPro which I was gonna use for the visual. I have been looking at audio interfaces and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 keeps coming up. Some people have said they put their basses through a DI box too, so I was thinking about getting a good DI box also and obviously some good recording software such as Logic or Protools. This is looking more costly by the second but you have to spend money to make money eh?!

I use a Fender Jazz with a Markbass CMD 121p but to get the sound of that I would have to spend a lot of money on microphones eh? Without a DI box can anyone attest for the tone that you get from the Scarlett 2i2? Or is it important that I can a DI box too? Well I'm an idiot when it comes to all this stuff. Any advice is welcomed. :)

- Jack

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    You will definitely need and audio interface. The Scarlett 2i2 is a very decent option, and although some hate the B word, the Behringer U-Phoria is a also a decent option for less money.

As far as software goes, you don't need expensive software. In fact, if you are just planning on editing video and audio to sync it and cut parts out etc. you can do this very easily for free. You could use Reaper for audio and you could even get away with something like Movie Maker (if you are on PC) for simple video editing. As you get experienced and find you are lacking something, then by all means move on to more expensive software (and hardware) options, but it is far more important to know how to use what you have than to have the "latest and greatest" tools and not know how to use them.

As far as a DI, that depends. I plug my bass directly into the interface without any issues, just make sure it has inputs that are sutied for guitars bass etc (most of them have at least one input that is). If not, then use a DI box, but again, any DI box will be fine for this operation, even a $20 Behringer will get the job done.

You could mic your cab, but the room will then come into play, whereas with a DI (or direct into the interface) that will not be an issue. Are you planning on recording voice also or just instrument? If you want to do voice then you will need a decent(ish) mic and also need to take the room into consideration.

Philly Watts likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I have a friend here in NYC who will sell me his Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 1st Gen for 60$ That's a pretty good deal right? I have Audicity, a free music recording software on my PC, is that like Reaper? Will that cut it? I was thinking about getting Logic or Protools, but yeah I just wanna record bass to play alongs and samples.. Thanks for the info.

4. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    YouTube has some amazing bass players who play out of the bedroom on YouTube, but make no mistake, some of them are gigging pros, that have endorsements, and well known in their local community. And a lot of them got started on the YouTube.

Nevertheless to get started, you need a decent vlogging camera like a G7, or low priced DSLR for 1080 HD video. The goPro can be used as a second camera for the close up wide shot with it attached to the headstock of the bass/guitar.

You'll also need video editing softwre. If you use PC, PowerDirector is a great option, as is the Adobe offerings.
    For DAW and interface, a Presonus AudioBox 44VSL or 22VSL is ideal, if you can find them. If not Audiobox USB will do just fine. They come with a powerfull DAW called Studio One 3 Artist. And, they have free firmware updates all the time. Very fast and powerful with studio grade sound.

As for DI, you really don't need a DI with the interfaces, as the AudioBox has high end preamps built in, and you can plug direct for most control over the editing of the bass track. And it's easier this way if you're starting out. Adding more things in the line from bass to interface, requires more tweaking, and trial and error to get it right.

Another option is a decent set of studio monitoring headphones like the Sennheiser HD280 Pro. You can use these for playback while recording, and it will get you by for mixing and mastering until you get a studio set up where you need near field studio monitors.

So that's the basics of what hardware you'll need to create high quality YouTube videos. Reason you want to create High quality vs low quality is, it's your first impression on the world. If you have great skills, and video sounds crappy with super low volume, and other noise when you turn up the volume, and the video is jerky, low quality, and skips, people will just pass you bye. And nobody will be able to hear your real tone and talent. That's why it's best to have great video and audio.

Reason you want to go this route with hardware is, it's the entry value hardware for a home studio. Also, if you start out with gear that has no room for expansion (like a action cam, and hand recorder, and free video software), you'll end up spending more to get to this level of gear to expand and grow as a musician, and recording technician.

Nevertheless, good luck in your venture, and get your music out there. Your videos may land you some gigs, and fame.

5. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Logic is only available on the Mac and while ProTools has been the defacto indsutry standard for many years, for a beginner I'd stick with Audacity or Reaper. If you're actually using a Mac then even Garageband will work well for you, especially with that Scarlett. If you're only going to be recording your bass/guitar then just go straight in to the interface-you don't need a DI. If you decide to add vocals, then save your money for a good mic or two.

6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    While I agree with everything you said in this post... It is sort of like when someone joins TB and says they want to learn bass, what gear do they need and the reply is "MIA Fender J or P, an SVT and an 810, plus a compressor, overdrive... tec etc.).

The reason behind this is always "If not, you will regret it later when you need to upgrade and spend even more".

As I said, while I agree with your post, if someone is just starting out without any experience and wants to start dabbling in making Youtube videos, then I would suggest giving it a go without taking on a mortgage ;)

With the 60$ Scarlett the OP mentions, plus the GoPro he already has and some free software, he can definitely get started. If he enjoys it and wants to grow, it is then necessary to start looking into the items you mention, but I don't see a $60 interface as a waste of money (especially with the Scarlett, which is a decent interface and is capable of recording better audio quality than YT can reproduce).

YMMV

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Personnaly I bought a M-Audio sound card that came with Protools Essentials which is a very light version of ProTools 10. and less than 100$ last time I checked. I record direct into the sound card unless I use my own effect box, if so I use a mixing board that goes into the sound card. Once recorded I may put some reverb, EQ and compression.

I also bought Pinnacle Studio to put audio and video together, add pictures and other effect. Once you put them together you can choose to save it in 1080i or 4K etc

I use the least expensive Canon powershot for filming in 1080i and taking pictures.

You can see and hear some of my stuff in my signature

8. I think $60 for the Scarlett 2i2 is fair provided it is in good working order. I use one.

9. Hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I have the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 now. Just recorded a bit of Donna Lee on it using Audacity. I put a little compression and reverb. Tell me what you think of the sound? I think it's clipping a tad, I need to get used to recording so any tips will help. I also think I agree with JACink, I wanna start of by dipping my toe in the water with all this recording stuff. So I think my go pro will be fine, or maybe I'll buy a higher quality webcam or something. I'll stick to free software for now too. Let me know your thoughts on the recording quality!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  10. Actually on closer listening, can you hear like some kind of crackle or hiss on the sound? I can and I'm wondering what causing this? I don't think I'm clipping apart from the last note.

11. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
    I can't hear any crackle or hiss, but I can hear a slight ringing sound that sounds very familiar.

If I recall I used to get it because audacity defaults to a 44.1khz project, and my old audio interface defaulted (and would annoyingly randomly reset itself) to 48khz. My best guess is that audacity resamples it on the fly if the sample rates don't match and doesn't do a great job of it.

It used to drive me crazy because I'd forget to check, and record a load of tracks like that before noticing.

It might be something different with you, but I'd check your hardware sample rate and audacity project rates match.

12. Thanks for the reply Technicality. How can I find out what my interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) defaults to?

13. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
  14. Well in spite of your self proclaimed idiocy, you came here to ask questions about how to do this stuff.
    Your membership to the Idiot Club is hereby suspended.

That being said, I took that statement more as a way to let us know that you know your skills might be somewhat lacking when it comes to audio. Someone with good audio skills can work with less than stellar equipment and get good results. Conversely, someone with little or no experience with audio won't get any help from even the best gear or computer programs.

One of the things that people overlook when recording a "video", (maybe partly because they call it a video and not an Audio-Video), is the audio. Video is easy. Audio is hard. I know, I've been doing both for many years. The reason is that video technology is fairly well standardized. Audio has many different standards in use today and you often must make several of them work together at the same time.

My suggestion is to tag along with some good audio guys and learn what they know. Technics, mic use, mixing, applicable electronics, types of cables, connectors, balanced audio, unbalanced audio, grounding, and using EQ effectively.

The other thing overlooked by most, is lighting. It will make or break a video just as much as the audio will.

Maybe you can pick up a couple of audio/video production classes at a local community college.

For DAW software, start with something simple as mentioned previously. Pro-Tools does a lot of great stuff but has a very steep learning curve. I would not want to throw a beginner into that until they've gotten a good grasp on the basic concepts.

15. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    If you are just starting, a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (about 100$), audacity to mix the audio (free) and windows movie maker (free) to slap your bass video on (punny uhuh)

You can simply connect your bass to the interface, import a soundtrack on audacity, oress record, export.
    What I do is to also record video while playing so I'm sure there won't be discrepancies.

16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Yea... you always need to plan for your goals. Like any smart venture, you'll eventually think things out, write them down in a organized manner, and build on your recording video system (Studio). Use what you have, and build your system. If you want good videos and audio, you'll need to build on you system, little by little over the course of a year or 2. As you get more experienced, you'll know exactly what you need to upgrade to overcome limitations.

17. The cheap Zoom music-cameras are - in relation to cost - very good and offer good audio-quality. Even better: if you own at least a 5 generation iPhone or iPad you get a very good camera quality (better than the Action cams i know) and you can directly connect an USB-audio interface with the connection-kit and get a very good audio quality without having to sync the audio and the video later (the camera app or movie pro app uses the audio from the interface as soon as this is connected instead of the internal mic).

18. JeffLieby

JeffLieby Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2007
    Orange, TX
  19. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I started doing YouTube full time almost a year ago. I use Studio One to record my audio from a Universal Audio Apollo. I do my video editing with DaVinci Resolve (free) and I use the 2.5k Blackmagic Cinema Cameras with Sigma 18-35mm lenses. My gear is pricey, but I buy everything used on eBay, so I saved a ton. You can check out my site to get an idea for the quality that this stuff will give you!

Home - The Bassist

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022