1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I wanna build a lefty Gecko 5

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by vinny, Apr 25, 2006.

1. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    But I'm ovewhelmed by the options. Where do I start for all these choices? I currently play an older MIA P & a 4001 Rick. I like the spacing & warm, fat tone of the P, so I'd like to somewhat replicate that. At the same time I'd like to have some bite on a bridge PUP. I just don't know what options will yeild the results I'll like (I may not even know what I'm really looking for) so I'm confused. I've never built a bass before but feel the skills I have in other areas will cross over effectively. So... can you all help me out here? I need suggestions regarding body & neck options (woods, finish, spacing) and any PUP considerations. Also electronic factors I need to bear in mind. So basically, I have no knowledge on the subject other than I'm convinced I could do the actual build if I just knew what pieces I want to buy. One other thing, the Kahler bridge used on the Gecko is angled for the righty. Is there a lefty version of this available? Thanks in advance for any responses & help. I mostly lurk here but I had to jump in with these questions 'cuz I really want to build it & I can't get off the dime without making some of these choices. Vin.

2. Giel

Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Warmoth has had pretty decent customer service, I think they can help you whit all your questions :) Just contact one these guys I'm sure they can help you out..
    http://www.warmoth.com/customerservice/customer.cfm
    I recently build a bass whit the wide gecko neck, and build the body myself.. My body was white korina, (killer tone wood!) And maple/purpleheart neck whit pau ferro fretboard.. I really dig the tone myself..
    Warmoth is a good choise and I thought they made leftys aswell whitout extra charge, not shure about that though..
    But just contact someone from the customservice and you'll be fine :)

Good luck!
    Giel

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What frequency response are you looking for? Proportion of lows, mids, highs; clear, thick, punchy, growly, etc? People interpret warm and fat differently, so just to make sure.
    P-ups will have some impact on the tone (especially if you use EMGs...) as well as strings or technique.
    Spacing? I don't know their exact spacing, but usually 5s are around 17-17,5 mms and wide 5s are 19-20 mms.

Warmoth has decent description of the tone of the woods. Read around and tell us what you come up with

4. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a P sound all the way down to the B (if that's possible) without being to boomy & a nice clear punch up through the mids.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The sound also depends on the p-ups.
    Anyway, the wood side of teh equation: non-boomy (let's say tight), punchy, clear?
    bubinga, wenge, maple, and maybe swamp ash. Of the woods I know and have experience with, these come close. However, bubinga and wenge are quite heavy, so keep that in mind, too!

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. How 'bout some pup suggestions ie. type/style/brand. I don't have much experience with a wide array of variations so I really need help/suggestions on all my parts choices. FWIW, if I build one & it's not exactly what I envisioned I could just build another.;)

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Shapes... well...

There's the P for 5, J5, MM5, EMG, Bart P2 and P4...
    all are different shapes.
    The P can only be split-coil
    J can be SC or split-coil
    MM5 is DC or TC
    EMG also
    Barts can be SC or split humbucking or DC or split DC (quad).

Then there are the manufacturers.

And also the specific models.

There are just so many options.
    Go to the Pickups subforum, you'll find some info there.
    Also, there is (was?) basstasters.com and davidmwilson also had some p-up comparison clips on the net.

8. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks, My head's gonna explode. :D Not my amp head, my skull.