1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I wanna call "Shenanigans!", but I'd like a second opinion…

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Malak the Mad, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Every now and then I like to "window shop" around the TB Classifieds, Guitar Center's used database, eBay, Reverb, etc… But earlier, I came across this sale thread.

fender Jazz Bass Body | eBay

According to the seller, it's American-made. To me, based upon my experience with a certain, similar model, I thought it looked more like the body of an MIM Fender Classic '70s Jazz. To be fair, if it's what I think it is, the price is right. But, to make sure the seller wasn't making an honest error, I wrote to him asking him this…

Are you sure this is an American-made Fender body? It looks more like a Mexican-made "Classic '70s Jazz", a model I've owned before. I mean, there's no string-thru routing under the bridge, the bridge is a vintage-style/bent-plate construction and the placement of the bridge pickup looks to be in the "'70s position", just a bit further back.

If it is a Classic '70s Jazz body, I'm certainly not saying it's overpriced. In fact, the price is pretty spot-on for that model. But if I'm right, and you do sell it listed as "American-made", I'm not the only one who will spot these discrepancies.

The response I just received this very morning was as such…

Thanks for your input. I purchased this loaded body off ebay from a company that sells Fender stuff. I paid right around 380.00 dollars. Also, not all that is American made have the string through type body. I have several fender basses that are American made and none of them are string through.

Have a great day...

Unfortunately, I'm still dubious. Could I be wrong? Absolutely! But the part in the listing stating, "Pick guard and pickups still have the plastic protective film on them." keeps bugging me and makes me wanna get all "Columbo" on him.

So, rather than turn back around and call "Shenanigans!" on the seller, I thought I'd run it past the TB membership to see what Collective-All-Y'all think.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can't make out the stamp in the neck pocket. What does it say?

3. Malak the Mad

It kinda looks like either "3-004" or "C-004".

So, some easy qualifiers/disqualifications would be…
    1. "Do MIA Jazzes have that kind of routing hole in the neck pocket?"
    2. "Are there any moderately recent MIA Jazzes that do not have string-thru routing?"

s-l1600.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I cannot conclusively say anything but that neck pocket has me questioning it. The back cutaway doesn't appear to be painted black which is a good sign for an MIA and not a MIM though.

5. Malak the Mad

If I catch your meaning, I have to say it could still be an MIM. My '70s RI Jazz also had a burst pattern on the back end. Case in point…

70sJazz02_zpsb6874509.
    70sJazz03_zpsfe9979b9.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well snap, I got nothing then. They must use some better bodies for the higher end MIMs. Normally on a MIM they would paint the cutaway black so you cannot tell it has a top (or is plywood).

Malak the Mad likes this.
  7. Malak the Mad

Who knows? Mine might've had a veneer on the top and bottom. Either way, "That '70s Bass" illustrated the level of workmanship that goes into the upper tier MIM models. :thumbsup:

8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Lots of people on ebay selling the MIM fender reissues parted out and listed as American. Ebay won't pull the auctions even when the part In the photo SAY made in Mexico.

Not saying what this is o isn't but Id personally suspect it isn't a USA body - Id at least want pics of the controls and back of the pickups. It doesn't look out of line for a MIJ or MIM body.

9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I'm questioning whether the body is even a Fender at all with that neck pocket stamp. I've seen neck pockets from just about every era of Fender and from every country they've been made in, and I've never seen that type of stamp.