Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I wanna get into Frank Zappa........

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jul 7, 2005.

1. But his catalouge is so huge I dont know where to start, Id rather start with an album rather than a compilation but whatever you guys suggest. Please, whatever you suggest, give me an explanation of it? THanks alot guys.

2. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    For an introduction to Zappa I'd go for Hot Rats (1969) as its some of his more listenable work. The album is pretty much 60s jazz rock, and its got some great bass work on it as well, particularly the track "Gumbo Variations"

[​IMG]

It was my first and now my favourite Zappa album

hope this helps

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sheik Yerboti is a must.

4. superjake

superjake

Nov 6, 2003
    dc
    uh, well...... you should go get these!

60's
    freak out!
    absolutely free
    we're only in it for the money

jazz rock
    hot rats
    waka jawaka
    grand wazoo

rock
    apostrophe
    overnight sensation
    one size fits all
    roxy & elsewhere
    Sheik Yerboti

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I think Joe's Garage 1 should be pretty good for someone new to Zappa, most of the songs on it are pretty catchy and none of them is difficult to listen to.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I often feel like I need to get into frank zappa, but ultimately, I get into pollybass instead.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
  8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I don't know if you like Primus or Phish at all but Larry LaLonde and Jon Fishman have their own 'Zappa Picks' cd's too - it's pretty cool to see these guys pick their favorite tunes.

9. I'm going to second Mr. Till's suggestion for Sheik Yerbouti. It's the first (and for now only) Zappa album I have. Killer album! And yes, I have listened to many others.

10. I love the idea of FZ but there are only a couple albums I can listen to. There should be a "I want to love Zappa but Can't" thread.

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    He is just way too eccentric for my tastes. "keep it greasy to go down easy"? I don't think so, Frank. :rollno:

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I find that I much prefer his instrumental stuff. Often his lyrics get in the way of the good music. Some really good stuff is his 3 disc set of instrumental guitar; mostly live. Good stuff. I wish I could remember the name of it. Unforunately all my cds got stolen about 5 years ago.

13. Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More
    Return of The Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For starters I'd go with:

Apostrophe
    Overnite Sensation
    One Size Fits All

Zappa Forever!!!

15. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    +1 for Joe's Garage. Most of Sheik Yerbouti is pretty accessible too, not to mention freakin' hilarious.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Maybe you should live with Yo Mamma, she can do your laundry and cook for you.

17. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    What made you want to get into Frank Zappa in the first place? If you can answer yourself that question then perhaps you can get cracking?

18. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'd go Apostrophie and Zoot Allures for starters.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Apostrophe really is an album that almost anybody could love.

20. Ok so today I went and bought :

Apostrophe- great, kinda psychedelic, love the dogs

Freak out- Cool , anti hippy psychedelic rock , my favorite of the ones I bought .

Waka/Jawaka - really cool , reminds me of chicago meets .....primus maybe? Very close with Freak out as being my favorite so far.

Im lovin these albums, I need more.