I wanna know what the hardest song for YOU to play on bass is.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311 fan, Jan 10, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I suppose mine would be Vic Wooten's Classical Thump. Was yours?
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    My most difficult song....is actually a piece I wrote for a friend who plays cello. I transcribed it for bass....but damn if I can play the thing myself!!...:D
  3. the originals in my head.
    because i usually think of the lyrics while i am thinking of the bass line, and they lyrics are funny and vulgar, and then i start laughing so hard i forget what the bass line was
  4. Bottesini Concerto #2 (for double bass).
  5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The giant steps rendition that victor wooten did with steve smith and that other guy is insanely hard in parts.. It's so damn fast and he uses techniques I can't fathom at this stage in my basslife yet ;)
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Diz's "Salt Peanuts." In practice I think I'm playing it at about 90 when I think it's written at 300 something. (Or at least I wouldn't be surprised if it was).
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have no idea what the hardest one is because there are so many I can't play :)
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Havona from Weather Report...hell, I tried to play it yesterday.

Anyone who has that funny fast piano-bass lick on either notes or tab? I've always wanted to play that.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's in the "Real Book" (Sher Music) and it was also tabbed (!) in December's Bass Player mag in the part where Christian McBride talks about his album - he plays it on Double Bass. That part also has a transcription of an interesting 15/8 bass pattern from the same album.

I can play it very easily.... as long as it's very slowly as well!! ;)
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually - if you do really want to play this - there was a whole thread on how to play this - do a search for "Havona" in the thread title and I'm sure you would find it. I can't remember which part it was in though.
  11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Thanks a million Bruce!
    I just looked up the thread and it's been very helpful already, I'm gonna try playing now soon.
    And 15/8? That's usually way beyond the point where I stop counting.
    But then again, I once screamed in agony seeing the sheet music I had to play, which stated 12/8...and it was a blues song. Dóh...

I'm gonna practice now, thanks again!
  12. <i>The giant steps rendition that victor wooten did with steve smith and that other guy is insanely hard in parts...</i>

That other guy is Scott Henderson. He happens to co-lead a band called Tribal Tech with some guy named Gary Willis, who happens to be pretty good on bass too. I've heard him live a few times playing Giant Steps, about 12 choruses all by himself (long enough for the drummer to get a drink)... just pure music.
  13. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    "The Lemon Song." Now if you are talking play and sing....
  14. Too many to mention!

In particular 'Captain Senor Mouse' by Return to Forever and most of Jaco's stuff...
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    right now, Mudvayne "dig" The line is a weird slap line that goes from 2nd fret on the B to the 6h on G REALLY fast, and it's hard to play physically. It hurts a lot, and then after that, it's fast, and alternating pounding/melodic. It's a great song to play, but harder'n heck.
  16. Lots of stuff on my list. Victor Wooten's stuff is up there,along with, moe. stuff, weather report, and some of Phish's stuff gets complicated. I need to develop a better ear. I'm learning 'Birdland', I have the chart in the back of one of my music books. moe.'s bassist sings and plays some really good funk, so that is difficult for me as well. Mike, from Phish, gets into these basslines where he doesn't stop moving around on certain songs such as Harry Hood and You Enjoy Myself. There can be lots of key changes too. And finally, Victor Wooten. His work just speaks for itself, I'd imagine.
  17. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, I learned Spiderwebs by No Doubt a few days ago and thought it was pretty hard at the time, though it's not bad at all now. Probably some of the ska and jazz stuff that I try to play that has a lot of syncopation and odd time signatures is the hardest for me.
  18. 15/8 is not as hard as it sounds. Just play ordinary 8/4 and remove one 16'th note at the end.:)
    By the way, isn't 12/8 the same as swing-feel (triol-feel?) in 4/4? Most blues i've heard is played that way.

I found that Wooten/Henderson/Other guy-cd in a record store today. Is it worth buying?
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I would have to say songs like "Sleep Now in the Fire" and "NIB," simply because my wrists are ****ing out on me and it hurts to have to play a part over and over and over again. It was damn near impossible to play those two songs back-to-back. :(
  20. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    ehhhh I haven't been playing that long .. but..... hardest that i can play all the way through.... well its a tie.. Jamiriquia - Virtual insanity and Metallica- Pulling teeth..... there 2 totally diferent styles.. so its a tie....