1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i wanna pimp my grill...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BanJhankri, Apr 2, 2009.

1. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    ...but instead of having a gangsta lean i'll have the chicken neck :bassist:

this may be a stupid question, but I have NO idea when it comes to this kinda thing.

I just bought a warwick 4x10 but I think it lacks mojo. Basically, I wanna get some sweet looking cloth and screw it over the top of my grill. it looks like it'd be easy on this warwick as it has screws and washers on the outside of the grill, so i could just spread the fabric over it and keep the original grill behind it for protection. Besides the chance at making a gaudy fashion error, is there anything that could mess up my cab by doing this? I mean, I'm not going to overheat it or anything like that (pls 4give I n00b)? would there be a maximum thickness I could use (could get tactile!) or can I go hog wild?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's possible to do that, but you'd have to wrap it around the original grill and attach it from behind, otherwise it'll look like crap. However, it may cause fitting problems because the grillcloth might cause the frame to be too thick to mount properly, and it can rattle against the metal grill, causing a rattle. I think you're better off building a wood frame that fits in the slot of your original grill and stapling some grill cloth to it.

Fitting grillcloth isn't brain surgery (I've even done it successfully), but it takes a bit more care than screwing it to a metal frame. I'd suggest doing a search on doing it and learning how to do it properly.

3. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    No advice to offer except for that I am sucker for cloth grills. BTW I was following your other thread and see you picked up a rig. Congrats!

4. Archangel_Bass

Archangel_Bass

Mar 29, 2009
    Ontario
    ive been thinking of doing the same with my ampeg, its tricky though my guitarist had the store do it for him he ordered up a parts cloth from the company then painted it up and let them handle it, it isnt brain surgery but they have the tools knowledge and experience to fix it up, plus if their techs are certified by the company or if the store is a dealer, you may not have to worry about any warranty issues. or you could get the company to customize a grill for you

5. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna look into it tomorrow - starting at my local fabric store (lets hope I get inspired!)

@ataunton
    Cheers! I'm pretty stoked about it... way more balls than I was swingin before. AND it's like its blown the cobwebs off my bass - it's sounds waaay better than it did playing through my old combo.

I'll update you with my progress with pictures...

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've done it with regular cloth before, and if you get it thin enough, it'll work, but it's got to be pretty thin.

7. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    would a thicker fabric affect the sound?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep. Like putting a blanket over it....makes it sound muffled.

9. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    yaybles... I got it done today. I think it definitely adds more mojo to the rig and suits me alot more than the boring metal grill did

problem is though is that jimmyM was spot on, it rattles when I hit the bassy notes. I think this is down to the fact that all I had to fix it to the back of the grill was duct tape rather than the cloth vibrating on the grill. It looks sweet now (in my opinion anyway - feel free to give feedback) so I need to try come up with a solution to cancel out the rattle. Preferably one easier than the wooden frame idea cos although that would be handy I'm way too lazy to construct something as precise as that would need to be. I doubt I will be able to solve the problem before tonight (first time gigging with my new rig - excite much?) so sadly I'm probably gonna have take it all apart again and play minus the MOJO.

any ideas guys?

10. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    after playing it for a bit i'm starting to think that it is the cloth vibrating on the grill causing the rattle, cos its mainly coming from the bottom where those sub holes are.

looks like a wooden frame might be the only solution... but i really like the idea of having the grill behind it for protection... anyway you guys think I could do it? the grill only leaves a few millimetres of space from the edge of the cabinet so i couldnt really push the cloth out further to seperate it...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    One thing you might try before you get all invasive is to raise the cloth off the grill by putting dense strips of foam around the sides and maybe across the middle of the grill between the rows of speakers. I would think a half inch thick foam would be fine, but you may need thicker.

12. needle and thread to sew it down onto the grill, same problem will still happen but it'd reduce it

13. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    thanks guys, yeah i thought about sewing it. maybe a combination of sewing it at the edges so it stays taut and then adding foam strips vertically outside of the screws and one in the centre... cheers for the advice..

any other ideas?

14. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    turns out you can't hear the rattle over the other instruments... sweet!

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    The louder you play the more it will 'rattle'. I did quite a bit of experimenting with one of my older cabs to dress it up a little. What I found is that if the cab is rear ported, the cloth dont matter. However, if its front ported you have to use extremely thin cloth. I ended up using black drape sheers and it worked okay I guess.

Another solution that would likely work better than cloth is to buy a roll of speaker cloth/foam that you used to see on the outside of home stereo speakers. Might check out ebay or a stereo store to find it.

16. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    No technical advice for you but have to say that looks very cool...great vibe with your bass.

Hope you can make it work.

17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    3M automotive spray adhesive on the metal grill and reattach cloth (quickly)
    You will never get it off without sanding though

If you want to do it right, have a carpenter or cabinet shop build a proper wooden frame and attach to the cabinet with Velcro (like the OEM's do it)

18. BanJhankri

BanJhankri

Mar 30, 2009
    New Zealand
    thanks thetaxmiser! I like it, the bandmates loved it too when I showed up with it last night. Definitely adds the mojo it needed!

cheers ::::BASSIST:::: , I'll look into getting speaker cloth. I really like the vintage paisley/psychedelic look though so hopefully i could find one with patterns. I'll stalk eBay like you said

19. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Nice grill. I think it turned out quite well.