Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I wanna play Jazz part 2

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JWC, Jun 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Gimmie some tabs or some jazz instruction sites that use tab. I can't play Miles Davis or the like by ear for anything.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    First of all 'gimmie' is not a good way to get what you want? How about please? It's a magic word, you know.

Secondly, you'll be hard pressed to find tabs for jazz simply because of the nature of the music. Jazz isn't supposed to be played the same way twice. You've got to understand music, chord structures and form to play it. There just isn't any way around it. You're on the right track in trying to play it by ear as well, just slow down! Take the 1st measure, then the 1st and 2nd, then the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, etc, etc untill you've got the tune. It's not an easy path, but it's a very enjoyable.

To give you what I can, try this site (but it's all standard notation):

http://www.dd.chalmers.se/~f96tope/noter.html

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    notation? you've gotta be kidding - that's too hard. pass me a beer. ~buuuurrp~

did i say that? excuse me. :D

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

JWC, tell you what I'll do just for the exercise and research for the benefit or not of mankind (not the pro wrestler Mankind.) I will spend the next half hour searching for a jazz site that has jazz tabs...just to see if such a creature exists.

But I will tell you right up front, you won't fool anybody if you learn a jazz song by tab, because you probably won't undertsand any of the concepts behind the playing of the song.

That said, I'll search for you, and get back in half an hour with my results. It is now 10:15AM, CST.

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000

6. Boplicity

Surprise! Surprise! There are jazz tabs available and I spent only fifteen minutes. Who knew?

Anyway:

http://www.jacopastorious.net

This site has tabs to Donna Lee, Teen Town, Come On Come Over, Amerika, Portrait of Tracy. This a numbers and strings only tablature. You will have to listen HARD to the records to figure out the timing.

Another site has jazz books for bass guitar for sale with tabs and staff both in one book.

http://www.guitargallerymusic.com

These bass books include:
    "Fifty Essential Bebop Heads for Jazz." Staff and Tab...$12.95

"Famous Jazz Bass Chord Progressions" in tab, staff and with CD $5.95

"101 Amazing Jazz Bass Patterns" in staff, tab with CD, $17.95

"Afro-Cuban Bass Grooves" tab and satff with CD
    $19.95

"Walking Bass" with CD, staff and tab by J.Rector $22.95

So in just fifteen minutes I came up with that. Just that should keep you busy for a long time to come. Let us know how it goes for you.

7. Boplicity

I found some guitar jazz. WIth these tabs, you will at least know the chords. That may help your "ear" decipher the bass line. Also, maybe you can pair up with one of your guitarist buddies and work together on the songs.

http://www.etabs.com

If you type these names in their search box, you will find guitar arrangements in tab to "All Blues" and "So What" by Miles Davis and "Giant Steps" and "Naima" by Coltrane.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This whole thread is a joke, right? It's just that everybody forgot to put the little winking smilies all over their posts, RIGHT???

The only kind of "tab" that should even be mentioned in the same sentence with the word "jazz" is a BAR TAB, and even then only after the gig.

9. Boplicity

Chris...your worst nightmare. Wouldn't it just be awful if you were to discover this entire thread is written in dead earnest!

(Actually I think JWC is just pulling our collective legs.)

10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Nope, I like exanding my horizons learning new things and new styles. Pulling no one's leg here :)

And Ed, I can transpose songs I learn on tab. SO it does do me a bit of good.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, the point is, as Jon pointed out a the top, that the role of the bassplayer in Jazz is almost always to improvise a bassline based on the chord chart or "changes" and their knowledge of what scales can be played over this - it is not to play exactly what somebody else played on one occasion in the past.

Jazz is also about responding to the other musicians and playing lines that compliment what they are doing, not just ploughing on regardless with a line that you have decided to play beforehand. So as Ed says, a soloist might decide that they want to change the way the song goes and it is the responsibility of the other band members to go with this - so slavishly following what someone else has done is really against the spirit of Jazz, which is all about being spontaneous and flexible about what you play.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no need to worry about _THAT_ - tab doesn't have any time sig info in it. usually the kids that i've heard play stuff they learned from tab weren't playing in any particular time sig anyway ;). sorta mix between "free time" and "play time".

13. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Not totally correct Mr. Turner. Nope.
    Some, not all, but some tabs, include a time signature (all the Rush ones do i think). Alot of tabs also have notation for eigth notes (e), etc.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and without measure delimiters and accurate rhthym information, whatever sig information that is included is most likely useless. furthermore, since many of the more difficult rush tunes change sig often, sometimes every other measure, any non-measure specific rhythm info is going to be useless and confusing.

god, all this extra crap littering tab and making it unreadable, when good old, easy to read and understand standard notation has everything needed to reproduce the song.

remember, with tab you're only as good as the tab author, and checking out www.tabcrawler.com , it looks to me that there are some _BRAINDEAD_ individuals writing tab and posting it on the net.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On the other hand, if you want to suck, go ahead and suck. It doesn't really matter to anyone here what straw you are using while doing it.

16. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Geez brother Fitzgerald I don't want to suck. All I want is some tabs with the chords above them so I can see some EXAMPLES of jazz lines. I can't just start playing jazz just knowing the scale.

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No, comrade JWC, but you could try doing what most other jazz players do to learn their craft:

a) listen to records and figure the stuff out by ear;

b) learn to read it off standard notation, since much of it is already there;

c) study theory and technique with a teacher whose job it is to help you do both.

I've never heard you play, and I am not assuming that you suck, nor did I ever say that you DID suck. As a matter of fact, I never even said that you WANTED to suck. I was merely pointing out that, SHOULD YOU EVER WANT TO SUCK (i.e. - stunt your musical growth by doing things in a lazy way which will teach you nothing other than how to open your mouth just wide enough for the next tiny little spoonful of musical GRUEL to fit through) for any reason, Tab is the way to go. And should you at any point make that decision, no one here will try to stop you. Problem so far is that all of us trying to tell you that TABS SUCK are giving what we thought we were being asked for - our honest opinions.

18. Jamey Aerbersold has play-along Book/CD volumes and several have matching folios of the bass lines transcribed. Check out: http://www.jajazz.com

Vol. 6 has tunes by Charlie Parker w/ Ron Carter playing bass (what more could you ask for?). Ron is a monster jazz cat. No tab, but you gotta learn to read some time, why not now. It's not difficult.

There are several volumes with the bass lines transcribed....plus you get the CD to play along with....world class musicians.

I'm teaching myself bass (primarily jazz) using this meathod plus Bob Magnusson's book "The Art of Walking Bass" for the theory portion of learning to walk/construct bass lines. I use the JA transcriptions to learn the lines of the masters to know what great lines sound like and to build a vocabulary. Mix the two together and voila...instant jazz virtuoso! LOL.

I started guitar 25 years ago and learned to read (I didn't say *sight* read) the notes starting from day 1. It's easy. The first ledger line below the bass clef is your open fourth string E....see....wasn't that easy? :)

Take a basic music theory class at your local junior college or else get a book on learning to read. It'll be the best thing you ever did.

OCCarl

19. Boplicity

I'll throw out this idea, too, JWC. Get a hold of the Ken Burns "History of Jazz" series. Maybe you can rent it at Blockbuster or borrow it at the library. Watch it looking for jazz musicians you like. Choose one and get yourself one of that musician's CDs. Listen to that many, many times.

I just saw that SheetMusicPlus.com now has the sheet music to all the songs in the Ken Burns series. Get the sheet music to the jazz musician you prefer and really make a project of learning that. It won't be in tab, though. I promise.

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Can anyone here picture a young Charles Mingus running up and down 52nd St. asking a bunch of cats for tabs! Comical. Picture a 17 year old Charlie Parker running around KC looking for tabs. Hilarious. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I say best of luck JWC if you are serious, jazz is the best music in the world to play, in my humble little opinion. Here's my advice:

Woodshed.