Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I wanna rig up something...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Hambone, Nov 23, 2002.

1. ...using a coupla no name jazz pups I've had laying around. I want to modify their covers, wire them together, and then pot them under the same cover for a single large pickup. Whether it will work well remains to be seen but my question is how should I wire the polarity for the 2 units? Series or Parallel? Any differences?

This isn't a critical thing - I've got a parts bass going together on-the-cheap and I've been struck with this idea. Something akin to Music Man location combined with simple wiring. It may not perform well but it'll look cool:cool:

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i think it matters which sound you want ie the switch on a stingray5! from there i have no clue!

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would try to wire in a series parallel switch, but if youre gonna go one way or the other I say series.

Fatter, bassier, and more output.

Peace
    Nick

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I think you'd pretty much have the Roscoe Beck Fender thing going.

I would spring the extra $3 and slap in a switch. Maybe a push-pull if you want to keep the simple look going.

I think I actually saw a bass somewhere not too long ago where the owner had done something similar. But rather than removing the PUs from their covers, he simply ground the screw-mount tabs off and superglued the cases together.

Chas

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, and in case you havent thought of this, you wont be getting the MM sound because of the size of the pickup pole pieces.

A big part of the sound is the amount of bass that comes from having huge pole pieces. With the J bass you have tiny pole pieces. Im pretty sure it has something to do with mass and resonant frequency of the poles, but Im not positive.

Peace
    Nick

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd definitly put in a switch. :)

7. yep, agree with the selector switch idea- I've got an ON-ON-ON toggle switch on the Kent Armstrong JJ bridge humbucker in my Warmoth P bass.

parallel gets a Stingray-ish scooped sound, but the volume is a bit low.
    I use this setting in my covers band with a volume and treble boost effect patch to get the stingray sound on RATM numbers.

series adds a lot of low mids. a bit muddy in comparison with parallel mode.

single coil mode (bridge-most coil soloed) gets the J bass sound.

re. the comparison with a true MM p/up, the spacing between the polepieces of each coil adds its own share of tonal difference too- ie.
    on a JJ 'bucker the coils are closer together than on an MM= less hollow than an MM.

8. Thanx for the tips guys!

But I've got another question. How come it is that everytime I or someone else asks a question that refers to an MM style pup or placement (single pup biased towards bridge), everyone has to point out that it won't sound like an MM and it won't have the tone of an MM and it won't this or that like an MM??? It's just that I've noticed how this is as predictable as tomorrow and a bit funny.

I really didn't care and whatever it sounds like is fine with me. That's part of the fun of these things - hearing how it all comes together in the end. A surprise here and there is part of the game.

The selector switch sounds like a great idea but I think I just want this to operate as a single pickup. I might even combine this one with a nearly new DiMarzio in the bridge position to keep a variety of tones.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Simply because the obvious reason for putting a pickup in the MM position is for the MM sound.

Peace
    Nick

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I won't mention MM pups I swear! :eek: :p

You got a cool idea there. I've always thought one of these "Powerbucker"
    types in the sweet spot would be pretty slick...the switching possibilities, oy!

Italian luthier Frudua makes some very pretty basses (imho) using this type of pup...

[​IMG]

The English version of their new site doesn't seem to be up, but I tracked
    down the sound samples page for their GFJ-VO model (above)...

http://www.fruduaguitars.it/gfj_it.html

hope that helps :)

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, if you say so. remind me never to put any type of pickup in the "P bass" sweet spot. i'll just be going for that "P bass" sound.:rolleyes:

Edit: that is a AWESOME looking bass. how does the sucker play?

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I dunno :confused:. Hopefully as nice as it looks.

Maybe TB'r barroso has tried one?

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well Im curious, why do you want to put it in the MM position then?

BTW, as far as I know, and IME, to get a sound close to a P bass when using a Jazz, you select the neck pickup soloed.

A huge part of a bass' tone comes from the position of the pickups.

Peace
    Nick

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's been done.

[​IMG]

15. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    awesome sounding bass. but if you want really great italian basses....

www.laurus.it

16. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds interesting, I am really curious to hear what it would sound like........ Could sound very interesting like the "P-bass" (ESP 400) I picked up a while back that someone put a dual coil Jazz in the P pickup spot with a toggle to split the coils.