1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i wanna start building my bass!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by j3ss3, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I have ALOT of questions.
    first: i'm gonna build a bass (eventually):hyper:
    what is the cheapest tonewood out there?
    How to build a neck?(how much of rounding should it have etc.)
    where to buy woods?
    How much wood should I buy?
    What glue to buy?
    where to buy a fretting template?
    how deep should the truss be?
    how thick should the neck, fingerboard be?
    I think thats it for now, please answer!
    BTW, i have read the sticky and i can't find much on it :p

2. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    Some would call "tonewood" a fancy word for higher cost for no reason. just make sure the woods have no cracks/defects that would make them unstable.
    with the neck, you could buy one pre made, and route, or if you want to make that, a neck through would take out a little guesswork. also if you don't mind fretless that should make things easier. on my first neck i accidently made it to thin, and unevenly rounded. watch out for that.
    menards for common hardwoods. ebay for whatever, and if you want some flashy looking wood, i hear larry at gallery hardwoods never disapoints. also your local lumber areas.
    do measurements to find out. get a little more tan you think you need. better safe than sorry
    Titebond original. get the big bottles. nothing worse than running out of glue when you are in the middle of gluing. get LOTS of clamps. c-clamps, bar clamps parrallel clamps, ect
    Stew mac
    just enugh. lol. dual action hot rod trusses are good
    compare to existing neck/fbs don't go to thin around the headstock/first frets, or you will run into the truss rod, or if you are doing a neck through, you may want the put the truss adjuster on the body side, to help minimize this risk.

3. thank you very much :p
    I think im gonna stop by the local lumber shop to check if they got some hardwoods:p

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    You should probably get a book on the subject, given the questions you've asked.

I'd recommend one or both of these:

Building Electric Guitars by Martin Koch

Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass by Waring and Raymond.

Good luck with your first build!

5. draw it out full size, then measure and see how much wood you'll need...standard body thickness is 1 3/4", standard neck thickness is 1" including a 1/4" fretboard. The Truss should be routed as deep as it needs to be to sit flush with the neck before the fretboard is put on. And I HIGHLY, HIGHLY suggest you read a book before starting because this is not a 1, 2, 3 project.

6. I'm now reading a book I got from the library :p

7. I would definitely read a book to brush up on how to do it the correct way.
    As for a cheap tonewood, go with Poplar. It's commonly used and it sounds great, but only use it if you are going to paint it or don't mind the green color.

Good luck with your first build!
    It's pretty simple if you have the right tools and know what you're doing.

8. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    Dude,

Use the search function. It should pull up some stuff about wood selection. There are a couple different places that sell wood for good prices. I think one is exoticwood.com, or something like that. There's also Warmoth, and a few others. Price shop. You can save money by getting unglued blanks, too.

And you may even find some poplar that has weird/cool figuring. You may want to check lumber yards. You can also ask the people in your area for good places to look.