I want a Bergie or two, but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 7, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm not gonna have cash for 'em anytime soon, especially since there's a Cirrus bass at the top of my GAS list that I don't have cash for, either (I know better than to use credit to try to cure GAS!!!). Still, I'm pretty methodical about all of my acquisitions, so it's not too early to be thinking about it.

Currently I'm running an SWR SM-900 into two 8 ohm 4x10 cabs in parallel, milking all 900 watts out of the amp. And be incredulous all you want, but running this way is the ONLY way I've got any kind of headroom. In other words, I won't be happy sacrificing any of this rig's massive thump.

My options with the SM-900 look like this:

1. Run the amp bridged into a single 322 cab. This would be pushing 900 watts into a cab rated at 800, and yes, the cab would get pushed pretty hard. I never let the SWR's clip lights light up for more than an occasional transitory blip, but yes, the cab would get pushed that hard. Is that asking for trouble like I think it is?

2. Run the amp in stereo with a 322 on each channel (I'd consider putting a Bergie 3x10 on one side, but they don't seem to make those anymore). At 400 watts per side, this would be pretty close to the 900 I have now, and probably acceptably loud - but - I've heard that the Bergies like the watts, and I'm wondering if 400 watts into a 322 is enough to get the most out of them.

3. I probably don't need to state that my current setup of 2 8 ohm 4x10 cabs has pretty impressive thump and punch. I'm also strongly considering keeping this configuration. Maybe I should keep my Goliath III I'm using, and swap out the Avatar b410 currently in this rig for another nice 8 ohm 4x10. I dig the Goliath, but I also like the way a differently voiced cab (currently the Avatar) complements it. Who else makes a really sweet 8 ohm 4 x 10? I'd look at Eden, Epifani, EA, EBS and any others that make one. Wish Bergie did :(

Anyway, any suggestions for this dream rig would be welcome.
  2. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I haven't got a 322, but I sometimes run my SM-900 bridged into a Berg HT212 and can say that the SWR hasn't got the juice to make use of all the Berg can offer. I tried to use the SWR/Berg setup in a loud rock trio/quartet and it just didn't cut it at all, even with the SWR's master volume maxed out (not loud and no thump.) I emailed Jim B. about it and he said the SM-900 was underpowered for the cab. As of now I just use the SWR/Berg setup for quieter gigs.

Only a guess, but I don't think the approx. 400 per side from the SWR in stereo is going to be enough for two Bergs.

As always, YMMV.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never noticed a lack of power when running one channel of my Stewart 2.1 (775W, according to specs) into an HT212. This is at gigs, where I don't get benefit of PA support. We play blues/classic rock, but the guitarist is a volume=tone guy and gets pretty darn loud with his Fuchs 2x12 setup. But no, we're still not metal loud.

Required watts will be related to what kind of tone you want. If you want room-shaking low end, you'll need more watts. If you prefer a tighter punchier tone, you'll get more apparent loudness with fewer watts.