Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a blue power light! Mesa 400+ Q's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hurley, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm hoping a Mesa expert can help me with this. I'm familiar with the Search function, and couldn't find much.

I've seen many pics of the 400+, and I've noticed some differences between them:

*Some have a red power light, some have blue. Is this just aesthetic?

*Some have 6-band EQ, while others have 7. Does anyone have experience with both? Any noticable differences?

*There's also a difference in the standby and power switches, where some are a smooth curve, and others are V-like. I know the amp has been around for a while, and changes like these happen.

Can anyone date or tell me anything about an amp based on these features? Mine's a 7-band, with a red light, and curved switches.

Thanks guys. :)

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm no expert with mesa.. But are you sure your comparing 400+'s with 400+'s? And not 400+'s to the older 400?

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I have an early 400+. It has the v-shaped switches. The newer ones have the curved switches, like yours. I'm not sure when they made the move to curved switches. Early models, like mine, have a 6-band EQ. I think they made them with 6-band EQs from 83-85. As far as the power light goes, a red light is a lot more common, to purchase separately, than a blue one. Mesa, to my knowledge, always releases the 400+s with blue lights, and if anyone replaces it themselves, they put a red one in. In my experience at least.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *Waiting for Ben Strange*

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup, the 6 band stuff is the early runs of them; they switched to 7 a few years into it. All else is changed purely on supply. There's no significance to different switches and lights.

6. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks. :)

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    If the power light looks like these, you should be able to just unscrew the old one and buy a blue replacement.

I'd like to buy a pair of blue jewels to replace the green ones on my Aguilar pre/power rig, but I've been too lazy. :p