I want a blue power light! Mesa 400+ Q's...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hurley, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm hoping a Mesa expert can help me with this. I'm familiar with the Search function, and couldn't find much.

I've seen many pics of the 400+, and I've noticed some differences between them:

*Some have a red power light, some have blue. Is this just aesthetic?

*Some have 6-band EQ, while others have 7. Does anyone have experience with both? Any noticable differences?

*There's also a difference in the standby and power switches, where some are a smooth curve, and others are V-like. I know the amp has been around for a while, and changes like these happen.

Can anyone date or tell me anything about an amp based on these features? Mine's a 7-band, with a red light, and curved switches.

Thanks guys. :)
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm no expert with mesa.. But are you sure your comparing 400+'s with 400+'s? And not 400+'s to the older 400?
  3. TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I have an early 400+. It has the v-shaped switches. The newer ones have the curved switches, like yours. I'm not sure when they made the move to curved switches. Early models, like mine, have a 6-band EQ. I think they made them with 6-band EQs from 83-85. As far as the power light goes, a red light is a lot more common, to purchase separately, than a blue one. Mesa, to my knowledge, always releases the 400+s with blue lights, and if anyone replaces it themselves, they put a red one in. In my experience at least.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *Waiting for Ben Strange*
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yup, the 6 band stuff is the early runs of them; they switched to 7 a few years into it. All else is changed purely on supply. There's no significance to different switches and lights.
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    If the power light looks like these, you should be able to just unscrew the old one and buy a blue replacement.

I'd like to buy a pair of blue jewels to replace the green ones on my Aguilar pre/power rig, but I've been too lazy. :p