1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i want a bongo...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by huckingfuskie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    My birthday is comming up and my GF wants to finance me my first "quality bass" at the 1000-1600$ price range. At first, i was thinking possibly a fender precision, but after contemplating for a while i have my sights set on this: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/bongo4.php

I've never plaid or even seen a Bongo, but from what i hear it has a huge assortment of possible tones, and is extremely comfortable to play. i know alot of people think it is ugly, but i think it is sexy. I'm very hard for this instrument right now.

For arguments sake lets pretend you can get either bass for the same price. Would anyone take a Fender Precesion over a Ernie Ball Bongo? If so, why?

2. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2007
    The lost Sierra
    My first Bongo was an HH and I loved it till a natural disaster left me bongoless. I bought a fretless Bongo after that which I am selling cause fretless is not my sound. They have a huge choice of tones and are very well made. But every time you tune in to live music on TV or at your local club, what do you see? Lots of Fender J's and P's and their boutique emulators plus more Stingrays than Bongos by a landslide. So you have to play them yourself and make your own choice. GL

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

Jun 18, 2008
    CT, RI, NC
    I tried out a few Bongos and honestly, they did not do it for me. They didn't sound...for lack of a better word, 'real'. Almost artificial, if anyone can get something out of that.
    Plus it was all the options for both p/u, I didn't need That many knobs and options.

But thats me.

In that price range, you could also give a shot to a MM Stingray. Very high quality bass, can go from one H to 2 HH or 1 H and 1 SC pickup. Very solid, IMO.

What do you play now?

4. paulorr

paulorr

Apr 5, 2007
    Ah - I looked at one in detail but settled on an American deluxe jazz bass. The Bongo is basswood (cheap) while the am dlx can be gotten in ash (expensive). But more so, the pickups on the Bongo are too "modern" sounding to me .. not soft enough but brittle sounding. Bongo looks like a space ship and reminds me of the $300 Sr300 Ibanez I has.

I would stay with the Fender and then when you get some money set aside then maybe get a Bongo if you still like it.

5. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    yes, yes you do want a bongo. trust me. they are amazing.

6. Bongo is a lovely instrument with a very modern sound. Try it, if you can. It works for some, and not for others.

7. huckingfuskie

huckingfuskie

Aug 4, 2008
    Yes in fact you are right. The bongo's sound comes more from the electronics than the actual architecture of the bass itself. In that sense it IS artificial. But i dont see anything wrong with that.

Currently, i play a standard 4-string fretted yamaha bass which i got at a bargain. I dont know the exact model name. so this will be a huge upgrade for me.

8. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I would go with the bongo.

9. Bigduke

Bigduke

Dec 10, 2006
    Get the BONGO period. I own both.

10. Depends on what you want. Vintage, old school sound: P-bass.
    Modern with great versatility: Bongo.

Or the best solution: Get both!!!:bassist:

11. i love my fretless bongo, and i wish i'd never sold my fretted bongo but i needed the money at the time. bongos rule.

- mntngrown, is your bongo listed in the tb classifieds? i didn't see it...

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'd say "neither" and get a Fender Jazz or a MM Stingray.

Better idea: Go to a GC or local music shop and play on a bunch of basses until you find the one you think sounds the best.

13. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    i have both, my bongo is my weapon of choice!:bassist:

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I want a Bongo, too... *sniffle*

15. me too :crying:

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I had a Bongo, loved it, and sold it to a friend who uses it a lot more than I ever did to excellent effect. Playability is awesome.

I also own too many P-Basses. :p

Get the Bongo. There is one for sale here dirt cheap in the classifieds

17. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Bongos rule :D They are so much fun to play, you don't want to put them down.

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

That's inconceivable to me. Nothing against P basses, of course. Just my personal preference.

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I did. :p

20. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Bongo for the win.