Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a Bunny!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakepaul1, Aug 9, 2004.

1. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    No, not the fluffy white animal that hands out candy to kids at Easter - a Bunny Brunel bass! Thanks, I'll be here all week, try the veal! :D

Anyway, this is a followup to my thread about ordering a Carvin. After much research on them I have decided that I would like a Bunny Brunel. This reason is this: I have found that with my Fender Jazz I get some fatigue in my left hand(fretting hand) after playing awhile. Some of this may, of course, be due to poor technique which I plan to correct with lessons in the near future. From everything that I can see and read the ergonomics of the BB Carvin bass series allows the neck to be played in a more upright position - even while sitting, which is how I play the majority of the time when practicing at home(the Jazz neck seems to stay more parallel to the floor). The thought of this is very appealing to me, as I would like to have maximum comfort - I've recently come over to bass from guitar and feel as if I'm in a "conditioning" phase.

I have severe GAS for a Carvin and will likely make the move soon - I will have to find my wife in a good mood to explain the "need" to do so and how benificial it will be. :rolleyes:

From the BB70/75/76 owners - can you tell me that the comfort level is increased when using the BB bass?

Thanks,

JP1

2. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
  3. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
  4. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I love the Bunny Brunel Carvins. I have a BB70WP and a BB75P among several other Carvins. My next two basses will probably be a BB75PF (fretless) and a BB76P.

Yes, they sit at a more comfortable, upright position on the strap. I have mentioned before that when playing sitting down, without a strap, they feel a little like they want to slide to the right, off my leg. That's my one gripe about the body style. I think it's due to the smaller lower horn. The LB/XB bodies seem to sit on my leg a little better. However, no one else that I talk to seems to have this problem, so it may just be me. And it's not really a problem, I've never actually had it slide off. It just feels like it may.

If you have questions about them that I can help you with or you want to order one or discuss available options, you can call me at Carvin.
    1 (800) 854-2235
    Select option 3 from the voice prompt menu.
    Ask for Mike Goodwin and/or ask for extension 128.
    I'm there between 9:30am and 6:00pm Pacific time.

I'm not much good at comparing them to other brands you may be familiar with because I play all Carvins except for the occasional browsing at music stores. But if there's something specific you want to know about Carvin basses, give me a call. :)

5. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Thanks very much, Mike, I greatly appreciate it! I will definently get in touch with you when I'm ready to order! :)

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Mike, since when do you work at Carvin? I thought you were the "unofficial" spokesman :D Anyway, congrats!!

What you describe about the bass wanting to slide off your leg is how my Lakland Skyline feels, so you are not alone!

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I used to own 2 BB70's. They were 2 of the comfiest basses I've owned. I hated the tone but that's very subjective. They balance nice and my all koa was pretty light. If you're ok with the tone you won't regret the choice.

8. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Since July 26.
    Thanks.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

Agreed. Carvins are some of the comfiest basses out there. Very nice necks too, precise, consistent, and totally playable. Too bad the tone sucks. Please take that back to Carvin: "the tone sucks". If they did something about that, they'd probably be selling a lot more basses. If it were me, I'd rip out the pickups and electronics and put something different in their place. After all, that kind of stuff is "fixable". You're stuck with the construction and craftsmanship though. In that department Carvins are not bad, not bad at all. :)

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The only thing I really dislike about my Carvin is the Wilkinson bridge (that Carvin, wisely IMO, no longer uses.) The bridge saddles all seem to have little minds of their own. One of these days I'll replace it. Oh, and the body and headstock contours are a little dated looking, but they were all the rage back in the pointy-headstock days of the early '90s when I got that bass.

I did replace the pickups with Barts to help get the throatier, beefier sound I was looking for. The stock pickups had a little too much clank in them. I like a little clank in the high end on a fretted bass, but not on a fretless (which my Carvin is.)

11. I did like my Carvin LB70F. It had a pencil thin neck. I don't know though. I never get fatigue with my Jazz - while occasionally my fingers got fatigued with the Carvin. All in all though I was pleased with my Carvin, but not enough to keep it around. I must admit I do miss it from time to time. It was a beautiful bass. I just liked my Jazz a bit better. I have held on to my Carvin DC-200 though. I know it is a guitar. I have never tried the BB basses.

12. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    My Bunnies:
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, there are people who actually like the tone of Carvins. I'm one of them.

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    He's lying. J/k

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Another thing you can't really fault Carvin for are their woods. I've seen some damn fine woods used in their instruments.

15. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    agreed. I loved the look of my Koa.

16. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hell ya! I've seen some figured Carvin tops that beat out the look of some Foderas - unbelievable. Why I got mine in Jet Black is a mystery to me. I must have been drunk.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Drunk and passed out while your buddies impersonated you over the phone and made the order for solid black! Dang, man :eek:

If I could get a Carvin, I'd probably get a swank, swank, SWANK looking Carvin with a bottom end set of electronics and then swap 'em out for some Basslines or Barts and an OBP-3. Great looks, sweet tone, good playability, and someone on TB to blame if it all goes sour! Sounds like a deal to me.

18. Yeah I agree too. Except that choices are limited. You can get flame or quilt maple, or koa, and plain woods, but where are the chechen and spalts this and that, and cedar, etc. etc.? I think an update in body style and in wood selection, not to mention the various rants of the electronics, at least as an option.

mgood, you must be pretty connected to them, how bout some help?;) :D

19. maxoges

maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like my basses one colour. I wouldn't mind all black!
    My coolest bass sofar was an all white kubicki xfactor with black hardware.

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Kind of agreed. I like single colors but I like them transparent. Even black.

This is my newly converted to fretless Amber transparent. (5 years old and no wear. I'm impressed with my restraint)
    [​IMG]