I want a Combo Amp... BA-500 or SWR or Peavey Bam? HelP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NDbassist, Jul 25, 2005.

1. NDbassist

Apr 17, 2005
    I cant decide what combo amp to get. i need portable so i can wheel it into my 3rd story doormroom, And i have mainly been looking at the Ampeg Ba-500. I have read many great things about the Peavey Bam, so i dont know what to do... Please help. I can get the Ba-500 for like 600 from someone i know (plus 100 shipping). So any help please would be appreciated!
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Bad news ace, the BAM's been discontinued so the used market is all you've got but I think a TBer is selling one. Regardless, the BAM is my personal favorite combo amp around if only because of its amazing versatility and ability to handle a low B with no problem at gig volume. I've never touched the Ampeg but I had a BA-115... I much prefer my Peavey but it IS heavy as hell, about 100 pounds and it's not super easy to pull along with the wheels. However... if I had it all to do over again I'd take my BAM over any combo amp on the market that I've tried, including a Metro.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hey Ralph, long time no talk. :cool: We seem the be the firsts to post in any BAM threads that come about. :D

ND- I will also vouch for the BAM. I tried a Redhead, and I tried the BAM, and I bought the Peavey. I actually end up using the Redhead setting more often than any other, but having the other amps available is pretty sweet. It's a great sounding amp! It _is_ heavy, but that's why the good people at Peavey gave it removable casters. :D

Also, it is LOUD. I never have to go above 2 to 2.5 (out of ten), and that's for large churches and outdoor gigs.

The tweeter can get a little hissy, and you have to crank the bass to get really deep low end, but those are small niggles I have with the amp.

I have also used an Ampeg 210 combo (the one with effects) at a couple of church events, and there's just not the headroom and the punch that you get with the BAM.