Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want a drumkit... is this a good idea...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 23, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38097&item=3726016871&rd=1

That is one of those "auctions" that is on all the time. I want drums, but I don't want to spend a lot of cash.

My brother has a "drumkit" I could just take and it wouldn't be missed. But it needs Hi-hats, a Crash/Ride, Cleaned/Tuned, and it still wouldn't be that great.

What do you think I should do, fix up a beater, or buy a new one that isn't top of the line (my bros isn't either), but would cost just as much in the long run.

Any other kit suggestions. I'm going to save some summer cash and buy one... probably... my girlfriend is going to kill me. :bag:

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    From one Matt to another

If you dont mind saving up, Pearl Forums are very nice entry level drums. Pearl have just brought out a new entry kit called the Soundcheck. In my opinion Pearl are the best reason to play drums.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    matt matt matt...

Lemme help you out, son.

My friend has this set... Very decent for the price.

You will need to buy cymbals... and might want to upgrade your bass pedal.

Cymbals...

Hi-Hats

Hi-Hats aren't they big of a deal, soundwise... They all sound the same to me. They have $40 Camber Hi-Hats that you will be just as happy with...

Ride.... rides are good things. A nice sabian for ya....

and a crash....ya for crashes

Or it may be cheaper to by all the cymbals in a pack...

here get something like that, get a crash later. or something.

That drumset you linked to will be crap. I garuntee it. This set will be much better. Upgrade the heads, and it will be awsome for what you payed.

You CANNOT half-ass the cymbals. They will sound crappy, and you will hate it..

Those things I've listed will be one of your better options.

:)

4. I would look at Tama Rockstar kits. Personally I try to stay away from Pearl drums... FAR AWAY. I have had nothing but bad experience with Pearl drums and hardware. When it comes to cymbols I would look at Zildjian. Sabians are alright but again I have experienced alot of sabian cracking or breaking. Paiste is also pretty goob but they can get to be rather expensive. If I knew what kind of music you were into I could probably steer you towards models from zildjian and maybe sabian that would fit. I would stay away from Camber cymbols. Camber cymbols, especially the cheaper ones tend to be very very thin and dent or invert all to easily and they sound like a tin can when you play them.

P.S. if you go with Zildjian or Sabian make sure you try them before you buy if you have 2 zildjian 16" a series med thin crashes they will almost gauranteed sound different and the same goes for Sabian

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I'll second Tama Rockstar. Friend of mine bought Pearl and I got Tama...what a difference, in every possible way. Re. cymbals, I would also second Zildians. I have 5 of them, plus two Saluda and one Sabian. Zildjians are far better (IMHO), and you can get them cheap if you search on eBay.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    heh, yer funny! :confused:

Buying used would probably be the best bang-for-the-buck bet. Check around locally in the paper, pawn shops, etc. Of course, if you're just looking to make a lot of noise, any cheap set will do. Cheap cymbals sound a lot worse than cheap drums though, so if you can afford it, spend more on them. Drums you can treat and work with; cymbals, not so easy.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I forgot to mention...in my experience, even a cheap kit will sound much better with good heads. I put Remo double, oil-filled heads, and they make a huge difference. On the minus side, good heads are not cheap.

8. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    harley_ou812, what exactly was the problem with the Pearls?
    Personally, i love Pearl, I play an Export Select and have found them to be durable, and sound fantastic. In my experience their hardware is only second to Yamaha who i believe make their drum hardware in the same factory as their motorcycles.

I've got nothing against Tama but have found them to be focused alot more towards rock, soundwise. I can tune my Pearls up for Jazz and tune them right back down for some heavy rock.

With Cymbals it's personal preference once again. Me, i'm a Sabian man. When i bought my cymbals i went to my local music store, tried out both Sabian and Zildjian and to my ears the Sabians sounded better. I got a pack of B8's fairly cheap.

With regards to cracking cymbals you need to think about it logically. If you buy a thin crash it's not going to be as durable as a heavy crash. I have found Sabians thin crashes to be a little thicker than Zildjians or maybe its just me.

Anyway good with your kit

Matt

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've heard from drummer friends that the Pacific sets (made by DW) are great for the price. You can get a new one for under $400.

10. My expierience with pearls are their marching snares I have had one shell collapse and 3 that the hardware snapped off. Their design for boom cymbol stands has been a very poor one in my expirience. If I put anything bigger then a 14" medium crash on the boom slips. As far as bass pedals go I have yet to play anything in the price range of an Iron cobra that could be in the same league as it. on Kits I have seen many come through with bent keytension rods from the factory the lug casing were very shoddy on everything but their higher end drums. granted this was all subjuect to about 4 years ago. I havent been big in the drumming community since then. I am not saying all pearls are bad but I have had alot of bad experience with them. and I wont by them because of all that bad experience.

With cymbols I know a med thin crash isnt going to stand up to metal drumming applications. But I have witnessed sabians especially there B8 and B8 pros break in Jazz band situations where they were played with proper technique ( something Many many drummers dont know for a cymbol) if you buy higher end Sabians they are very good and some are almost Identical as the zildjians ( the founder of Sabian was in the Zildjian family and used alot of what zildjian does to start his company) SO like I said I would prefer zildjians I am more familiar with their lines and I havent run into breakage very often at all.

I see you have a set of B8s they are good sounding cymbols but do keep an eye on them to watch out for cracking if you se it start drill stop them ASAP

Tama rockstar is in some ways kinda geared more towards rock drumming but so are most all kits in that price range. but with the right tuning techniques i can get my kit to sound good for most any application.

and to the original topic you could also take a look at the Tama Swingstar kits It had slipped my mind that they have reintroduced this kit. it is cheaper then the rockstar but similar to it.

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    As a hobbyist student of the drums, here's some stuff I've picked up:

Cymbals = VERY important. Get the crash cymbals new, medium thickness will have good tone and durability. Ride's you can get used, they're durable and you can save some money (I reccommend Zildjians Crash/Ride 20", K or A custom). HiHats are critical. Spend the extra bucks to get some nice ones. (you can buy these used too).

Drums. Pacific and Tama both make great lower end kits, I'm sure Yamaha does too. Try and stick with even sized toms (10-12-14), as they'll have closer tonal ranges. Buy used to save money, but make sure the hoops aren't bent and the shell's aren't crushed/malformed.

Proper drum heads and tuning can make any kit sound good. Head's are personal preference, I like single clear and coated the best. I recommend the DrumDial tuning device, it's invaluable IMO to quickly and accurately tune drumkits.

my .02, and I'm sure somebody actively disagrees with me!

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    If I was you I would just try to find something at a pawn shop. You really don't need to get anything fancy. I bough a gretch with zildjian cymbals for $100. It was a very good deal. If i get some new heads, it'll sound just fine.

13. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Nice way of contradicting yourself.

For MOST important, it goes, Hihat, ride, crashes, effects (splashes, chinas, bells, etc.)

Pearl quality has gone up a ton the past few years, and the new Exports are looking amazing (and sound damn nice too!). The hardware is some really good stuff. Tama seems to have fallen behind.

Cymbals...I could never stand B8s...I just got good stuff ASAP (Sabian AA, AAX, Hand Hammered, HHX, Signature. Zildjian A, A custom, Z Custom, K, K custom) Those are the best, if you want the best, go for any of those.

Kits...the Export is the best selling drumset, so it can't be bad. Also, they have the best customer service PERIOD. Any problems and they'll fix it (they even have a forum to help with this stuff).

As far as drums go, you get what you pay for. You pay little, you get little.

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Whatever you do, DON'T play the new Sabian Paragons.
    Stay away from them I tell you.
    If you're on a budget.

15. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm probably going to get my next set from Conaway.

http://www.conawaydrums.com

I've checked 'em all out, and this seems to be one of the best deals around, without compromising quality. The kits aren't anything fancy, and if you want something like Adonis lugs, you'll have to buy them yourself. The good thing is that they're made in the U.S. with all-maple Keller shells and aren't THAT much more than an import kit. Good luck! ;)

16. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I went cymbal shopping with my drummer buddy and you can REALLY tell the difference in quality when all the cymbals are laid out there for ya. Me? I like Paistes =).

(however the Paragons sound super good as well. STAY AWAY!)

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

don't go around any istanbul alchemy cymbals either...

you know, i wouldn't discount the possibility of picking up a newer set of electronic drums...i've tried some pretty impressive electric drumkits

18. I just realized that this thread was from two months ago. =) I guess thats what happens when you search.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    me too!
    I likes mine a good bit.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

ahhhhhhh, v-drums...those guys are _awesome_...the best part about good electric drums are that you can play an old school ludwig set today....some DW drums tomorrow...some tamas the next day, ad nauseam...i like the sound of the v-drums with real cymbals, though...the feel of brass isn't well duplicated by rubber...