1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a Fender Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 9, 2008.

1. But I'm embarrassed to play one.

Right now I play a Ric and I love the sound, but I also love the look, and that fact that it's not often seen around here - I feel like I'm saying "I take myself seriously as a musician"

I've always loved the sound of Jazz basses and I really want one of my own. But I'm afraid that going from a Ric to a jazz will make me look too normal, and not stand out at all. There are just so many jazz basses, no one is going to look at the headstock at a gig and know if it's a Fender or some wal-mart no name plywood bass.

I know it's totally stupid and lame but I can't get past the hangup!

If I find a good deal on a jazz bass I like I'll probably get it, and record with it, but I can't get over playing the Ric live (even though my Stingray, and even my cheap SX P/J, physically play much better). It IS about the sound, but the appeal of being seen with the Ric is a very close second.

Does anyone else have this problem? :confused:

2. Your playing and musical ability should define you, regardless of the instrument you play. People don't look at Geddy Lee and think he's one of the flock.

I had one of my friends questioned my decision to buy a P Bass. It was along the lines of, "But everyone plays a P Bass. It doesn't look anything special, or unique. How will you stand out?" By how I play. (And totally overpowering the guitarist in sheer force.) My bass does exactly what I need it to do: Bring out my music in the tone I want. I'm not so insecure that I feel compelled to look different for the sheer purpose of standing out. That's for gimmicky posers. (LOL Pete Wentz)

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Unless you're singing lead while playing, chances are not too many people are noticing you, regardless of what brand bass you have. That's the lot of the bass player.

Play what sounds and feels good. I'm just the opposite of you, I hesitate to gig my 30th Anniversary Stingray. I'm afraid to come off as pretentious - I guess I have my own hang-up to overcome! Regardless, I'm comfortable with my proletariat P/J and Jazz.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Who cares. Get one and shut up. :D

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    When I was growing up and playing metal/rock 15 years ago there was such a "I Hate Fender" stigma I refused to buy one. UNTIL I PLAYED A JAZZ.

The neck is perfect, the tone is perfect for me. You shouldn't think of others views of what instrument you play. Go ahead and get a Jazz now before you regret getting some odd shaped bass that "others" thinks looks cool.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Dude, I don't even know where to begin with this.

Sure...when I was like, SIXTEEN!

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be rude, but PLEASE tell me that you're no older than 19 or so.

Please? :meh:

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not a chance this would cross my mind.

Sorry dude. Your opinion is your own but it seems real petty to me. You should care about how a bass feels and sounds, not what people in the crowd think you paid for it.

I generally gig my $3000-$4000 Sadowskys and not many people (beyond TBers) could tell the difference between a Sadowsky and a $125 SX. My band members don't even know my Sadowskys are expensive.

In fact, a few weeks ago a bassist that was just watching my gig came up to me between sets and told me how amazing my "Fender knock-off" sounded. I smiled and said thanks.

Just my $0.02

I am kinda in the same boat. I gigged my 2007 LE SR4 on Friday and felt a bit odd. I got a few complements on that one. I guess it 'looks' expensive due to the sparkly blue finish.:rolleyes:

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I think its so cool when a bass player has a stand out tone that peaks my interest, only to find he's using the same Jazz bass that thousands of other players use.

Its what you do with the bass that makes a statement, not what you're standing there holding on stage. Its easy for me to spout off here, but I love the look of my basses as much as the next guy.

But you really should play a bass that has the feel and sound that you love rather then just the looks. When you close your eyes on stage and just groove, what is the ideal instrument to have in your hands.

For me its a Stingray, the feel of the neck, the tone, the weight and shape of the bass, all put that happy grin on my face that just makes me want to play all night.

You may find that a jazz bass does that for you. It has been the "go to" bass for so many of us for a lot of years.

9. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    You could get a really funky looking Jazz, if you're that worried. Seafoam green, black pickguard, maple board with black block inlays and black binding, ashtray and pickup cover. It would look pretty slick, stand out quite a bit from your usual Jazz, and still have all the benefits of playing a Jazz.

10. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Yeah, someone should tell Geddy that its hard to take him seriously as a musician since he plays a Jazz now and not his Ric anymore...:rolleyes:

If you love it, play it. It really makes no difference what the headstock says.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I can not even begin to say how much I agree with this statement. +1,000,000,000,000

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Although it was hard to take him seriously in the '70's when he dressed like an extra in Lord of the Rings.:D Man, those boys had some seriously bad threads back then!

13. I was playing a seafoam green sparkly J the other night at a recording studio, it got me thinking on all this heh.

I guess the thing to do is find an instrument with the sound I like, and then make it look so it fits my personality..

Illbay, I'm a little older than that... well on physical years anyway ;) It does seem pretty high school ish :p

14. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Stop trying to be yourself by being someone you're not.

15. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    HA!!! Yeah, they were never an MTV band. They are a great band for radio, as they say. :D

16. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    go for it.... Of course I tried a fender jazz this week and it was supposed to be a limited edition color. Nearly the entire E string was dead. It just had no sustain at all. Wierd, so I moved on.

17. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    Well I can kind of understood what you are saying, for a nanosecond. I found a way to have both a Jazz and my Ric - I bought parts and MADE a Fender Jazz, then put flatwounds on it. Now I can justify playing it in preference to the Ric because a) I made it myself and b) it has flatwounds and sounds different to the Ric.

18. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    And that Jaco...what a POSER!!!

19. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Just remember: It's about the MUSIC, about the SOUND.

Yes, we live in a visual age, an entire two generations after MTV and all that, but the sound you want is the sound you should get.

If some drunk S.O.B. down front is offended by your "blah" Fender Jazz, well, is that REALLY your target demographic?

20. I agree. Impressing the skill-less, unappreciative idiot at the front of the audience should hardly be a concern. You might as well smash a bottle on your head and eat glass.

Not to mention John Paul Jones. Way to be like everybody else!