1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a Fender Jazz...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 9, 2008.

1. I DO TOO!!!! I'm saving up for an Arctic White MIM 4-String... I can't wait!!! Only $450 left!!! What can I say, I'm only 16!

2. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I play a Lake Placid Blue Jazz Bass With Matching Headstock
    Blocks And Binding and I get nothing but complements from players and non players . But it comes down to tone and how it makes you feel . Because at the end of the day 98% of your audience could care less what kind of bass your playing.

3. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I know the Jazz bass is popular here at Talkbass but I don't see playing a Jazz as following the flock because Precisions are much more common in the majority of nightclubs and music videos. I personally love both, but when I walk into most live music establishments if the bass player has a Fender it's usually a Precision (other than jazz music/dinner music places).

Side note: flipping around to some classic rock on youtube and I noticed Geeze Butler (legendary P player) has been playing his Lakland JO (jazz) on quite a few summer tours. That should be plenty of image reinforcement for the rockers!

4. I'll be the antagonist here, I actually sort of agree with what your saying. Then again your going from a Ric to a Jazz. Their may not be as many, but their is an @#$% load of people who play ric.

I would say get something different (I am 16 though so what do I know). A guy metioned SX's, which you could get about 5 of those for the price of the jazz bass.

Me personally I would get a Sadowsky. One thing to remember with Fender (and Gibson more so) is you pay at least two hundred dollars markup because it says Fender. :meh:

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    nope.
    don't care enough how i look to let it effect what or how i play. playing first, always. if i don't like how it plays, or like how something else plays better, i play it. if it looks good too, sweet! if not, oh well. play it!
    think of your basses as tools. the right tool for the job, always.

6. Dude, I want a Fender Jazz and I'm not ashamed of it, even as a long-time Fender non-fan. It's a great tool to have in the stable, even if it's not your main axe.

7. You only think you want a Jazz...

I've always wanted a Jazz...not from a Geddy perspective, but from a Jaco perspective. I've loved his tone since I first heard it, but also liked the sound of a P-bass in Skynyrd and Eagles tunes.

But I've always HATED Fender necks.

So, in the early 80's, I got a used MusicMan. LOVED it.

Until I needed 5 strings, and MusicMan was being made by Ernie Ball. Think what you will, but for me, they're NOT the same, and the 1,000+ price tag is ridiculous.

So I went for an Ibanez 5.

Until I needed to do some slap/pop, and needed some wider string spacing like I had on the 4 string...

But the music I was playing was all over the map - some country, some rock, some jazz, some Christian, some Celtic, some - yeah - EVERYTHING.

So I made the jump to a 6 string.

And you can't find a 6 string Fender with wide string spacing. When I find one that fits the bill, the price tag is between 2 and 3 THOUSAND dollars.

Until I found a KSD Jazz...under a grand, 6 strings, 18mm spacing and 35 scale - even though I wanted a 34 scale, I thought I could deal with it.

Bought it without playing it...and the body is the most uncomfortable design I've ever strapped on. It's back to more of an MTD double cutaway shape for me....now the question is how to afford it.

Moral of the story - if you like feel and sound of the Ric, stick with the Ric. It worked for Sting, McCartney, and John Paul Jones of Zep and Roger Glover of Deep Purple. Don't jones for a Jazz just because someone else plays it - find the bass that expresses your tone, and therefore, your personality.

Z

8. +1

Oh, and uh.. I heard that walmart is making a Ric copy...

9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Hey, man, it all depends on who's looking at the bass. I brought a recently acquired black Fender Deluxe Jazz to band practice a while back. The guitar player in the band said, "what an elegant bass!" :)

10. Amen to that! Who cares what anyone else thinks.

I played my MIM Jazz 4 this morning at church, because I hadn't played it in a long time and figured it was time to go back to a classic. There was a little kid in the front row who couldn't have been more than 8-9 years old and his eyes lit up because he DID recognize my bass. He actually came up to me afterwards: "Is that a Fender Jazz? Can I play it?" How could I refuse? lol

5sg

11. My favourite bass is my Fender Jazz, it's a 2002 MIM fretless, I've upgraded a bit with a badass bridge and some seymour duncan pickups, but I did that for the sound and nothing else. I love the fretless growl and the feel of the neck, along with the versatility of the separate pots for pickup volume.

In short, and to echo what just about everyone else is saying here, if you want a Jazz, get a Jazz. If someone wants to point to the fender headstock and make illogical comments then that's their problem, they have my pity.

Tone comes from your plank, your fingers and your soul. That's all that counts when you're up there playing. Feel good about yourself and your own choices, they're yours to make and nobody elses to influence other than by advice.

Make it about the music.

12. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you go for the looks, why not wear a clown outfit or bring a machine gun, that will catch everybody's attention. If it feels good, just play it! People will remember you for the music and not for your tool (the bass, hey).

13. opened fri. night in Berkeley, CA for a band called Last Legal Magic and i remember thinking during soundcheck that there's no way this guy's bass and the violin player were going to sound too hot -- both coming out of the same Peavy 12" and told him he could use my rig if he wanted.. he declined.
    meanwhile, this guy's 6-string is sounding like the dude on Paul Simon Graceland meets Jaco 115 course.

sure, this has nothing to do with Jazz basses but i'll tie one in as on that same night i debuted MY NEW GEDDY!!
    :hyper: