1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a Fender,

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quap, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas
    but I am torn. I understand MIJs are a better value for what is very close product wise to an MIA. However, the draw of having an MIA, and maybe it being worth something in 30 years is alluring.

I compared a Standard and an American Standard on the Fender website,

Besides the listed differences, anything else? What are the pros and cons of each?

2. rhopper

rhopper Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    My MIA Fender P-Bass is all the bass I would ever need. I hope to pass it on to my son when I no longer can play.

I would say the feel, tone and workmanship are all better than a standard. I see no reason to upgrade anything on this bass.

3. yeggi

yeggi

Feb 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    take what you can get for now, these basses arent going anywhere. youll get one soon enough.

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The Standard is MIM.

5. I play a '94 fender squier series jazz - a pawn shop special for $300 - made with american body and neck, schaller tuners (an upgrade from a previous owner) and imported other hardware. This thing, in my opinion, far surpasses every new American fender I've played so far, the cost of your instrument will not likely to reflect the quality of the instrument you get. Be smart with your money, walk into the store, and play EVERY SINGLE BASS through the BEST amp there, even go through the used section, and if you know what you're doing, the pawn shops - you could get a really good sounding old beater for half the price of a new one (it's pre-broken in too!). If you don't like the way one bass feels, don't buy it, if you don't like the sound, DON'T BUY IT. You can have your cake and eat it too, and chances are, it'll cost less than expected. I think Victor Wooten says something to that effect.

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Given that you can get a used MIA Fender for under a grand... Seems like a no brainer to me.

7. I wouldn't worry about buying a bass now, that you hope in thirty years will be worth a lot of money. Unless you buy one that is already worth a lot, they likely aren't going to go up in value.

I have an CIJ '62 RI Jazz, and it's very good quality. Has all the same tone, and feel, as any other Fenders I have played. Old 60s ones, to made in Mexico ones.
    So I figured an CIJ was in the right price range for what I wanted to pay, and still get a real good, quality built Fender bass, for when I want that Fender sound.

I swapped out the tuners for RW reverse tuners.( I had to enlarge the pegholes) Pulled the frets, filled slots with CA and re-dressed the fingerboard.
    And did a light relicing job on it, and it looks fantastic now. (Poly finish is not as bad as I have read it to be, to relic.... but you must be patient, and go slow.)
    Sorry I don't have a photo of it re-assembled yet. But for CAD$750. I have an improved CIJ '62 RI :D
    Before...
    P1011436.jpg
    After...
    DSC01588.jpg

8. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I wouldn't worry about the value in the far future. I have (2) P Basses worth mentioning.
    I bought ($1500) an Amer. P Bass V and a deluxe Amer. P bass (montego black ) . these are both great playable basses. In my opinion unless you buy a Fender Custom Bass whose future value might go up, I would just zero in on what you like playing and get it..........................:cool:

9. Keldur16

Keldur16

May 7, 2009
    Tallahassee Fl
    don't get to caught in names. Thats all i can say. Some squires especially those classic vibe ones kick the crap outta some american, mexican, and japanese fenders. but, the idea is that squiers are bottom tier fenders, then mexican, then japanese and american being the top tier fenders.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The American Standards from 2008 to present are exceptional instruments. Instead of searching through many to find one good one, you'll go through many good ones before you find a sub-par one.

11. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    Whenever someone says "I want A but people say B is just as good" I say get A and you will be happy.

And if you buy the American Fender you help keep Americans employed.

12. rhopper

rhopper Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    Well said.

13. 2400

Sep 4, 2009
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I second this as well. My '08 J is a fantastic instrument. Dings easily though.

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    My 2010 Fender mia Jazz and P bass are the best American Fenders I have owned in my 25 years of playing...

15. I played a MIM Fender for many years. Recently I was lucky enough to find a very good buy on an American Fender. One was a jazz and one a Precision Deluxe so there definitely was a difference in sound....but the build quality and parts were definitely better. I have played American Fenders previously that needed some work, but, IMO, they're better then their Mexican counterparts.

16. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I say try the highway 1.
    Good quality...play nice..lower cost (than topline Americans)

JMO

(also, +1 to squier being pretty good quality these days)

17. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A used MIA Fender will hold it's value if you don't abuse it.
    Look at it as a free rental with a high security deposit.

18. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    This.

IMHO, you can't reliably predict how much most instruments will appreciate in value over time. That's why I always buy used (although my bass purchases are infrequent). If I buy smart and care for the instrument, I know that the very-worst-case scenario is, I'll recoup the price when I resell.

I DO think that if you buy a used MIA Fender in good condition today and care for it while you own it, it WILL be worth more in 30 years. (I'm sure I could get at least twice what I paid for my 77 P back in the early 90s.) How much more is anyone's guess, but not enough to put a kid through college or make a down payment on a house or Lamborghini.

Happy hunting.

19. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    Absolutely!!! I have two, an '08 Jazz & a 2010 P. To me they are the best instuments you can buy at that price. Only thing they need is a string change, I have Chromes on my P-Bass and it sounds warm & thumpy like a Precision should!!! :bassist:

20. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas
    I think I made a mistake saying that the possible maybe appreciation in value over the course of three decades may be a plus . . . Jeez. I said it was alluring not the only thing I was considering.

Thanks for the input on the 2008 to present MIAs I'll look there when I get my end of year bonus. Money isn't a problem for this purchase, but I wanted to make sure I got the best instrument for the money I could spend.

And thanks to Aspidites regarding the info on standards being MIM.