1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a fretless bass that growls like a panther.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moopants, Mar 13, 2009.

1. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    What kind of bass should I get?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What's your budget?

3. remigioremigio

remigioremigio

Feb 17, 2008
    pedulla buzz!

4. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Oh sorry I should've said my budget. I guess like $800 is the most I'd pay, but I'd rather go for less.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The ATK fretless' I have heard sound great.

But the used market is your best bet. Easily snag a used MIA Fender or G&L or MM.

6. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Hmm... for eight-hundo? Well, nailing a few strings to a dead (hopefully) panther's out... :p

7. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Dead panthers don't growl :(

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  8. if it twer dead, sir, it wouldn't growl :smug:

9. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    OOD likes this.
  10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Used is definitely your best bet. I recently picked up an old Hamer Cruisebass that had been converted to fretless, and it growls like a mofo, and it was under $800.

Seems like I've seen a ton of used Warwick fretlesses on the used market lately for crazy low prices (though still not much less than $800), and those would be a good bet for you as well.

Alternately, get any old fretless with an ebony or synthetic board, make sure it has standard-sized pickup routs, and install some hot-sounding pickups. Some active EMG's or high-output Duncans or similar. Then string it with roundwounds. Growl for days.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    In the words of Anchorman, even dead panthers can growl with Sex PAnther.

12. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Honestly, I like basses that are passive more than active. I have a Stagg Fusion fretless that isn't really a "good" bass, but for some reason I love it to death just because of the tone I get from it. I just can't help but think about a better bass that is also passive and fretless and how much growl I could get from that. I'd be in heaven haha

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah well the Duncans I was thinking of are passive. You can also get really hot-sounding passive pups from Rio Grande, Nordstrand, and a few other makers.