I want a high C

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eightyearsapril, Oct 22, 2011.

1. I've been playing four string basses the twenty years or so I've called myself a bassist, but now I'm interested in adding strings to my range.

What I'm most interested in, now, is adding a high C string to my range for tapping purposes.

My question: Am I better off getting a six string bass, which will also give me the low B (I'm a traditional tuner), or should I get a five string and string it EADGC (which will require replacing the nut)?

If anyone has advice on what kind of cheap (under $300) five- or six-string bass for tapping, only, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you're going to be tapping on it exclusively, I'd say that you should just get a 6-string. There aren't many sub-$300 choices, but Rondomusic.com has a Brice 6 for $329 and you might find other deals on eBay or in the TB classifieds.

3. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

ENJOY :D:hyper:

4. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Yikes… adding two strings at once (especially one on top and one on the bottom) might be unnecessarily confusing…

If you’re mainly a four-string player, and aren’t even wanting that low B, you’ll likely not even mess with that string anyway... ('cept when you do it accidentally).

I think I’d go with a fiver and tune it EADGC.

5. 1) Go try 5 and 6 string basses at a music store.

2) See which one suits your hands better as far as feel and comfort.

3) Buy whatever suits you, mod a 5 if necessary.

6. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Sslurrrrrp!

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
  8. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    If he's been playing 20 years, it's not going to be confusing.

9. I never really considered extra strings until I picked up a 5-stringer in a studio with my last band over the summer. While waiting to record my parts, I found a LTD fiver in a closet, tuned it, and quickly re-wrote my part to play on it (using the low B string). So, I have played them before. I have also tried some sixers in guitar shops, but not too extensively.

I've never done any real mods, how tough is it to:

1. Find a replacement EADGC nut for a five-string bass?
    2. Remove the old BEADG bridge and glue on the new EADGC nut?

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I tuned a 5 string from BEADG to EADGC and it did not need a new nut or bridge swap.

Went from .130 .105 .80 .65 .40 to .105 .80 .65 .40 .30 and the strings sat just fine in the nut.

11. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

May 19, 2010
    SE PA
    +100000000000000000000000000000

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Chances are you won't need a nut swap, I often swap 5ers from BEADG to EADGC and have never needed to change nut with either flats or rounds.

13. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach

+1

I tune my 5er to EADGC - .105 .085 .070 .050 .032. Didn't have to change the nut. Did have to tweak my truss and bridge, which is no big deal. I set up all of my basses anyway.

I only used the B for a thumbrest. I use the C. Not a whole lot, but it definitely gets some work.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    There are so many good and relatively cheap new and used 5-strings. I'd get a 5 and convert it also because playing (in any style) with 2 new strings would probably make things uncomfortable for me—and I regularly switch between a BEADG lakland 55-01 and a Valenti fretless strung EADGC.

As others have noted, converting a BEADG 5 to EADGC usually doesn't require anything more than a set up, but it might. Could that be part of the purchase deal of a new 5er?

BTW, buying six string sets is not cheap, but even if you have a 5er, it allows you to switch between EADBC and BEADG if you can manage the setup.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    What I'd do is buy a matching 4 string set and 6 string set, giving me a 5 string set for each tuning, if I was planning on swapping back and forth on one bass often.

16. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    [​IMG]

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If you think you might have a use for the "B" string - and you're comfortable with the wider neck of the six-string, then get a six-string. But if the answer to either of these two concerns is "NO", then get a five-string tuned EADGC. Easy, no?

Under $300? Sorry for your tight budget, but that price range is neither reasonable nor realistic. :eyebrow:

Not difficult - if you know what you're doing. The most you might need would be a new nut. Any changes to the bridge would be confined to the saddles only...you shouldn't need an entirely new bridge. When in doubt, bring your instrument to an experienced, well-qualified guitar tech... :meh:

MM

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021