1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want a Jazz bass, but I don't like Fenders - Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Carver, Aug 20, 2007.

1. I've been gassing for a jazz bass recently, but there is one problem. I've never played a Fender that felt "right" to me (although the Victor Bailey sig. came close). I don't really care what it looks like...The only requirement is that it has the playability of my custom basses. So far, here are the contenders:

Nordstrand
    Sadowsky
    Valenti
    Alleva Coppola

If anyone here owns one or more of these or has any other sugestions, Please post and tell me your opinions. I need help!:)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Are you certain you want to spend boutique money? The G&L JB-2 is an excellent passive Jazz that can be had for $1,100-$1,500. Lakland Skylines also are well under 2K also. If you can find the old USA Millennium J/J models, you get an excellent bass for relatively little too.

3. Oh man...I forgot about the Lakland Joe Osborn. I played one for the first time a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I'm trying hard not to think about the cost, but I would really like to stay in the $2500 or less ballpark. I just want to make sure I get the best possible quality for the $$.

4. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    I guess you'll just have to feel more basses.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Lakland Skyline Joe Osbourn??? Under $1,500 new. Still very high quality.

6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    edit?

7. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    +1 to check out G&L - I'm more of a Fender guy, but the G&L's are verrry niiice... The Lakland jazz also looks pretty hot. I'd love to take one for a little rip sometime, and if anyone locally stocked them I would have by now.

8. Never played the G&L, but will definitely check one out soon. Thanks guys.

9. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    Lakland
    G&L

10. ^^That's a killer bass. Nice playin' too!

11. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    There is an awesome Valenti in the classifieds.

12. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston

I think you also have to consider the end "tone" goal of these instruments. Just because they look like a variation on Fender styling does not mean that they all sound the same. I think if you want a specific tone, you will have to mention it.

For the price, I am extremely happy with my Lakland Skyline (Darryl Jones 5). I have played other Joe Osborne models and felt the same way. Further, I have heard nothing but fond reviews of the Valenti instruments. Tone customization for days.

13. That's a good point. I'm looking for something with a swamp ash body, maple board, and single coils. Active would be nice, but passive is cool too. The Darryl Jones is looking pretty good.

14. I would recommend a Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass. Unfortunately, they're discontinued but they're available regularly on Evil Bay. One in pristine condition with the OHSC will go for $800 or less. The list price in 1996 was about $1,500. You wouldn't be disappointed.

15. Yeah, if you're looking for the Fender sound, then the Sadowsky's not the best option, though they're kinda exquisite. I'll add my voice to the Joe Osbourne vote. The Darryl Jonse's are nice, but I find them a little techy-sounding. More of an active 'Fender-plus' sound.

16. Nordstrand!!! Wonderful neck - just feels instantly "at home", and fretwork that is simply the best I have EVER experienced on any bass (and I have owned and played MANY instruments over the years!)

17. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Hamer Cruizer used..about 400 dollars and they are honestly the best jazz bass i ever played. 400, upgrade the pickups and it pwns.

18. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh

i didnt even read that, see! i told you so man!

19. The same was true for me until this past Saturday...

Not the JB-2, but a used L-2500, but I have to say I was very impressed. :cool:

Good J bass tone, although a little more aggressive, and very good P-bass tone.

Try to check out a G&L at your earliest convenience.

You'll be glad you did.

Mike ;)