1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want a Jazz Bass to sound like a Music Man

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EXKid, Oct 1, 2008.

1. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Then why don't you just buy a musicman???:rollno:

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

In his original post, he states he has one. He likes the playability and feel of the Jazz.

myan already nailed it. He needs a Sterling HS.

3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have never tried them personally, but I've heard some intriguing things about the Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 pickups (jazz pickups with huge MM-style pole pieces). That plus an active preamp might get you closer to the sound in your head. Good luck!

4. MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Then why don't you buy a Sterling HS????:rollno:

5. CElton

:confused: :eyebrow: Because I'm perfectly happy with the basses I own. Perhaps you should go back and read the ENTIRE thread.

6. MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Perhaps I shouldn't. If you want advise, perhaps YOU should be a little nicer to people!:mad:

7. Look at getting your MM set up by a pro. If your Fender plays better than the MM, look at WHY. See? I save you money!

8. if your happy then why would you want to change one?

9. MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    +1 My thoughts exactly. Sounds to me that the dude really doesn't know what he wants.:rollno:

10. CElton

Arghh...OK...some are slower on the uptake and I understand that. I am happy with my basses. However the OP(Original Poster) is not. Read his quote in his first post:
    I was simply stating the "myan" in his post suggested a Sterling evidenced in this quote:
    This is a two page thread, go back to page one and start at the top. :atoz:

11. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    wow guys, i think you just lambasted Chris for no reason whatsoever...

12. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    You misread who was asking for advice

13. Moledaddy

Moledaddy

Sep 30, 2008
    USA
    * I agree. I own a MM SR too. I love everything about it. I don't have any complaints at all. I don't have a jazz bass. But if I did, I would enjoy the best of both worlds. 1 of each is a great way to be deversified in my opinion.
    We all do things that other people think are crazy and sensless from time to time. The point is ...as long as you are getting that feel, accuracy, tone and sound you are looking for on each playing session that works with the type of music you are playing at that time.....I guess it really wouldn't matter which route you decide to take in achieving your goal. ;)

Geezz it's cold in this office. :meh:

14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, this thread is entertaining, if nothing else. :D

15. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Yes, someone give MHensleyJr and notforrobots their "train(wreck) of thought" awards...:D

16. EXKid

EXKid

Aug 10, 2008
    Heh, just got off work to see this trainwreck of a thread:cool:

This might take some time to explain.

i have some J-bass copies that I have tried to make sound better, especially recording-wise. I get a big clipping signal on the E and not much signal at all on the G string. Inconsistent I guess. In order to trim out the signal at the board, I don't get much at all from the higher strings.

My MM does great here. Actually it does great with anything I throw at it, but my hands are smaller and the Jazz is better fitting. I can play better with the Jazz.

This jazz in particular has a bad Pickup in the bridge so I need to replace it anyway. I actually have a set of DiMarzio model J's to go in it, but I'm apprehensive, because I have been down this road before with a set of SD Vintage jazz's in one of those copies.

My MM though, keeps on trucking. I can't complain about the way it sounds. Matter of fact, I was saying the other night at BP that I have never sounded as good as that night. MM-->Garnet BTO-->Ampeg 610.

I'm not gonna sell anything, so I need to try something. Also I like the idea of getting what I'm after, with mostly what I already have vs. buying something to fix my ailments (like a Sterling). A pre-amp though, I could get one of those...

17. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Hmmm. Active preamp would help. My Deluxe Jazz can do a passable imitation of Tim Commerford's Musicman.

18. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Ummm,
    Kind of a crazy idea.

Will your Jazz neck fit on the Stingray?

19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IME, a preamp will only magnify the effects of crappy pickups. They won't disguise it. If the bass sounds good as a regular, old passive bass, then a good preamp can enhance that good sound. Do NOT get a pre if you don't like the pickups.

Now, as far as the Model J pickups are concerned, they are not regular Jazz bass-sounding pickups. They have much more low end and thickness to the tone. Add to that, they have adjustable pole pieces which lets you fine tune the string reponse by tightening or loosening the pole pieces. They are also humbuckers, so they have no 60 cycle hum. I don't think they will make your Jazz sound like a Stingray, but I think they will correct some of the problems you're having, especially with the bridge p/u. Then, if you want to further enhance the sound, I would add a good preamp (Audere, J-Retro, etc.).

20. MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Dude, just buy a Sterling and call it a day.